Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [40c] Dwarf sleeping on a trap trigger it  (Read 1059 times)

Veroule

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[40c] Dwarf sleeping on a trap trigger it
« on: August 26, 2008, 05:33:37 pm »

I set all all my dwarves to hunting. Since I have no wildlife on my map they never hunt, but my goal was to armor all of them.  Hunting of course causes the dwarf to just lay down and sleep where ever they are, which was fine by me.

When a dwarf sleeps on a trap it causes it to activate.  I would hazard a guess that it is just the laying down that does it and this is why some injured animals trigger traps.

There are a few options I see for fixing this:
1. Laying down on a trapped location should not trigger it.
2. Hunting looks at the location for safety before actually laying down.
3. Give us a new DANGER designation.  All outside tiles are initially set to maximum danger at embark. This designation could be used for the stay indoors order, by having different danger levels allowed for civilians and soldiers, we would simply have to change the danger levels.  Areas marked with any danger level also should disallow the dwarf from being On Break, loitering with no job, taking a nap, etc in that spot.

I think at least one of the first 2 is needed to fix the bug.  Having the third option implemented solves this particular problem by making it a user issue, and also fixes issues with the stay indoors order.  However the third option doesn't actualy fix the bug, since animals might still trigger traps.
"Please, spare us additional torture; and just euthanise yourselves."
Delivered by Tim Curry of Clue as a parody of the lead ass from American Idol in the show Psych.

MMad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [40c] Dwarf sleeping on a trap trigger it
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2008, 05:48:44 pm »

I think this is mostly by design actually - unconscious creatures will trigger friendly traps (which makes sense really) and sleeping creatures are counted as unconscious after.. I dunno, one of the recent patches.

Those things I think we can live with. The real issue is that sleepy dwarves go to sleep in the most suicidally stupid places.
"Ask not what your fortress can do for you - ask what you can do for your fortress."
Unapologetic ASCII abolitionist.

Veroule

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2008, 06:42:09 pm »

I am actually quite fine with it being by design.  That is why I suggested options 2 and 3 for fixing it.  I really do totally understand something triggering a trap in its sleep.  I move around a lot while I sleep, and once even woke to find myself sleeping on the box springs with the matress on top of me.

I will still be saddened everytime a dog that fought so hard to defend my fortress drags itself back with only 2 legs.  Then it reaches my trap perimeter and is killed.  I would be slightly less saddened by this if the dwarves promptly set to butchering the dead dog, but they never do.  I will always be frustrated with this when a dwarf also gets dismembered by triggered trap.
"Please, spare us additional torture; and just euthanise yourselves."
Delivered by Tim Curry of Clue as a parody of the lead ass from American Idol in the show Psych.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2008, 05:19:52 pm »

Okay, I'll note it down.  Pretty hardcore with the box springs.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2008, 05:34:46 pm »

Yes this is pretty annoying to be honest. Good to see that some fix is coming.  8)

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2008, 10:25:45 am »

dev_now:
09/02/2008
- stopped dwarves from choosing to sleep on top of traps

Woot!  8)