Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Limulineth, The Golden City: The Story of a Fortress. Community (Maybe)  (Read 3613 times)

ricemastah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So I'd like to put in an introduction to the story. I love making fortresses and I have worked on some ridiculous forts in the past. Right now I don't know where this game will go and how the terrain will affect my design choices, but I do have some plans. It won't be a community game at first, or at least not for the first seven. The first seven happen to be all female, excluding one whom I am taking for myself. If you want to join in the future I will do my best to accommodate you either as a peasant, or skilled worker in whatever you field you choose. There is a magma pool and an underground river. My design will most likely be focused on either that or some inclusion of water in the overall design.

1st of Granite
Rice's journal

The hardships of the long journey is over. We have arrived on the first of spring, yet the lands about us are frozen, even the river showing no movement. Hopefully that shall change soon. Not that it will matter in a few years, as this shall be the site of The Golden City. By 1057 it shall live up to its grand name, or so I hope. Much work lies before us all...

ricemastah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Limulineth, The Golden City: The Story of a Fortress. Community (Maybe)
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2008, 01:57:32 am »

12th of Slate
Rice's Journal

The snow has yet to clear up, and the river remains frozen, however our fortress is beginning to grow nicely. The Underground farms are being made up now, and the bedrooms are under planning for now we will all share a communal bedroom. It will have to be cramped for awhile before we can all spread out. I plan to commission underground mansions for the original founders and their families. But again for now we are forced to share rooms.
I have taken up the habit of smoothing the stone floors with one of the masons mainly to make the place look nicer. To tell the truth I am rather taken with her. The whole issue with the communal rooms makes this quite interesting.

1st of Hematite
Rice's Journal

Summer has arrived and the weather has yet to get better. I am afraid any hopes for a flowing waterfall have been shattered, at least for the surface. Perhaps an underground one will suffice despite the headaches it will undoubtedly cause. We have carved out  a large storage room for seeds in addition to our general food storage. The farmers are working as crafters in their free time, and I will need to start taking more careful notes about our fortresses worth soon. We have about a season to prepare for the fall caravan and impress upon them the quality of our goods. Hopefully we have enough to at least attract some new blood to our fortress. Seven dwarves a grand fortress makes not!

7th of Hematite
Rice's Journal

The first life to come to this cold and harsh lands are the hearty plump helmets that have be nurtured by the tender hands of of farmers. Both Tekkud and Degel have been working had to ensure that we survive. I will need to commission a still soon because of the lack of running water.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2008, 02:11:40 am by ricemastah »

ricemastah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2008, 02:21:33 am »

9th of Hematite
Rice's Journal

It's sad, we managed to protect the crafts from the hands of the dirty kobolds, but when it came down to it the macaques managed to run off with our stuff anyway! A shameful day indeed for the dwarves of The Golden City.

ricemastah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2008, 04:04:47 pm »

I am pretty sure the 38 views on here were not just from me. So I have two questions. Do I really suck that much at writing? Or are you guys just not interested? If you guys are interested and just waiting for some reason, I just got migrants and will probably be working on the fort some more tonight. Post something up here before then

ricemastah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2008, 01:14:31 am »

13th of Timber
Entry from Cog Atornish's Diary

Today we gots to a place called Limulineth-ish? My mommy and daddy are really happy we finally made it here. They say that we can start a new life here. I'm kinda sad because I had to say goodbye to my old friends back in the Mountainhome. Its also really lonely here! There are only two other kids an my brother an everyone else is an adult. There aren't enough beds to go around and sleeping on the floor isn't fun. I miss my old room, but daddy says that its only gonna be like this until the fortress gets bigger. He says that now that he's the first jewel setter here he can start a good business and make a good living cause mommy is unskilled. But I think I saw someone else wearing clothes like my dad. Anyway I don't have any toys or anything to play with so hopefully the other kids do.

~~~~~~~

Rice's Journal

The influx of migrants was unexpected. The traders had hardly even left the horizon before the first ones started coming. In total their arrival brought our numbers up to nineteen. The ones that came were all but useless. A milker, two jewel setters, two peasants, a furnace operator, a lye maker four kids and a weaver. I have drafted the milker as our first line of protection as we have no animals here to be milked. Lye makers and jewelers! Of all the useless rabble to be sent, and two families of all things!

Otherwise the area has remained frozen, and I fear that supplies may be lacking this winter.

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2008, 06:22:15 am »

A lot of people in the community games section read more than they post mate ;)
Magma is overrated.

Krash

• Bay Watcher
  • The one and only
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2008, 06:29:43 am »

I'd like to join as the furnace operator, just name him/her Krash.  If possible, Krash would like to learn blacksmithing too...  Coz he/she's that awesome
« Last Edit: September 27, 2008, 07:32:08 am by Krash »
MyLittlePonyBuiltMyHotRod, this is your first warning. I would like to direct you to read our forum's FAQ and posting guidelines before posting again. Specifically we don't use swear words here, and your picture of Stalin riding a Year3 Limited Edition Starflower inside a German concentration camp was both upsetting and historically inaccurate.

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2008, 07:08:52 am »

If your accepting, can i have the drafted milker please? (called sneakypete).

Edit: gah, can't delete post's, otherwise i'd have just added this to my first one :(
Magma is overrated.

ricemastah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2008, 11:00:57 am »

Alright you guys will be added up for my next posts. Krash, depending on when I find the magma you may or may not have a lot of work to do.

ricemastah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2008, 12:58:14 am »

Ok so sneakypete you're the leader of the first band of fighters for my fortress. Also what kind of weapon do you want to use. Right now I am gonna give you general background training for wrestling, armor and shield. When you move onto weapons do you have a preference?

Krash you are a female furnace operator. I will get you started on blacksmithing when the works are up, but do you mean like ALL metal working, or just metal furniture, I kinda need to know.

7th of Hematite 1052
Rice's Journal

We have our first mad dwarf. Almost immediately after reaching our fortress, Shem Lisatnomal claimed a workshop. He has been sitting there ever since! He had come as part of the most recent wave of migrants that bring our numbers up to 38. But considering that he hasn't eaten anything, and is only drawing pictures of shells and cut gems, we don't know what to do to help him. In fact we don't even have any shells here anyway. We can only hope that the humans come with some lobsters, I think they have shells.

Diary of Udib odkulet

Even after arriving at a new fortress my family and I are all out of work. I suppose my wife, Zon, has found a way to make herself useful by smoothing out the stone floors with the masons, but I still have no work. I even thought myself clever for coming out here in an unheard of fortress, but I am not the only gem setter! I can only hope that they choose me over him, my designs are simply divine.
It would seem I'm not the only one out of work either. Krash Kadolsefol, a metal worker, or so she says, can't find any work either. Supposedly this place was built on top of a magma pool that would power the works forges, but I haven't seen any of the stuff here.
I also met the first warrior in the place. He goes by the name of Sneakypete, but he doesn't seem to tough. He also smells oddly of milk, but I guess he just really wants strong bones or something.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2008, 01:12:58 am by ricemastah »

ricemastah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2008, 01:22:49 am »

Oh I totally forgot, but this game is slightly modded. For example wyvern! Which are essentially smaller versions of dragons and with a weaker breath attack. I also think I made most megabeasts MUCH larger and have higher damblock. Totally forgot.

16th of Malachite
Rice's Journal

Urist Cudistmuthkat has been killed by wyverns! I didn't even think we would have any here. As the community leader I am unsure how to respond. We don't even know which of the damn things killed him. He was one of those guys that just seemed to be part of the background. In fact if he hadn't died I don't think anyone would hav noticed him missing. He didn't have any friends. I suppose the only thing I can do is to forbid further hunting.

ricemastah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2008, 01:26:46 am »

18th of Malachite
Rice's Journal

Shem has gone insane from want of materials. Two deaths already mar the reputation of my fortress. I can only feel responsible for his death. If only I remembered to diversify our starting supplies a bit more he might have been alright. Instead he was quickly put down by the human guardsmen.

((Seriously I can't believe I forgot to pack turtles. I feel like such an amateur))

5th of Galena
Diary of Udib odkulet

My wife has given birth to our third child today! She managed to give birth in the middle of her smoothing detail, and in the new dining hall nonetheless. Its a beautiful baby girl and the wisps of her beard is just coming in. We named her Logem, and she is the first child of this place. In the midst of all the deaths we've had here its nice to have a bright moment.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2008, 01:37:23 am by ricemastah »

ricemastah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2008, 10:10:00 am »

7th of Galena 1052
Entry from Cog Atornish's Diary

Today I got a baby sister! Now I'm not the littlest one anymore! But it seems babies don't do much, and they get to spend the most time with mommy. I think I want to be a soldier when I grow up! I'm gonna use spears and stuff. We still haven't found the magma, and Krash complains about it a lot! And its not just him, but a lot of the older people are complaining that this fort isn't what they expected of it.

14th of Galena
Rice's Journal

I can sense the unease of all the dwarves, and it all stems from the lack of progress that we have made. I am going to send out some exploratory shafts to find the magma, but it could be awhile. In addition I think that a grand building project is in order...

5th of Limestone
Rice's Journal

Adamantine! The blessed metal has been found in our little home. This goes beyond all of my initial expectations! But with such a great boon comes the greatest evils in this world. No one can know of this beyond my miners and myself... Otherwise all will be clamoring for the metal to be unearthed. Is the magam within the chamber as well? I really hope that it is not the only place where magma resides.

P.S. So I used the search tool to find a place with magma, and this was hte first place. Am I to expect that this is going to be the only magma here?
« Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 10:36:40 am by ricemastah »