Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Great start location  (Read 1262 times)

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Great start location
« on: September 01, 2008, 10:45:55 am »

It's got sand, magma, aquifer, plenty of flux and iron.  There's a huge amount of copper, some platinum, and aluminum, and more than a few gold veins.  It's in an evil biome, but has access to all the civs.

Created in DF v0.28.181.39f.

[WORLD_GEN]
   [TITLE:MEDIUM]
   [SEED:513992419]
   [HISTORY_SEED:1903140095]
   [NAME_SEED:568780382]

I'm still running vanilla 39f with the default world gen, but you should be able to upgrade if you want to. (after world gen)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'm not sure how to pull the coords of the site I used.  This might help:
Churchsabres-15-region1-233-2115.bmp

I used site-finder to get it.

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Great start location
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2008, 11:08:31 pm »

Well didn't find the one you were talking about but I found two interesting places.
One has HFS, an underground pool and river (I think), sand, flux, magma (pipe I think), two sediment layers, and plenty of trees. Theres also some high cliffs and access to all civs.
I'll post more about the other location (not as good as the one I told about already) and the save for it tommarow.

edit: holy shit! a few Bauxite deposits, at least 3 coal and magnetite deposits each, horn silver, and magma pool all on surface! About 19 levels from bottom to top. I struck the motherload spot here. I'm thinking when I upload the save (I have a copy of before I embarked) a bunch of us should embark at the same place and each write a story for ourselves to see how we do things differently.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 11:27:16 pm by userpay »

Brian7772

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008, 09:19:46 am »

I think that would be a trip. Unline community forts it would be a competition using the same map to see how we all turned out.
"Pff...real Dwarves just estimate it, start digging, and make corrections after the cave-in." - Wild Goose

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2008, 10:40:36 am »

My site had a small bauxite deposite.  Enough to build a few floodgates and mechanisms for moving it around a bit.

There's not many evil zones on the map, shouldn't be too hard to find the one with the magma pipe

It also had a stupid amount of trees, and small deposits of most of the other metal types.  The only thing it's missing is HFS.

I think I'm going to need to find a map with HFS for my next embark.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 01:27:42 pm by Granite26 »

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2008, 07:26:12 pm »

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2008, 09:34:06 am »

If you didn't generate in the same version as me, you aren't going to get the same map...

Nilus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2008, 12:20:05 pm »

What is HFS?
That kind of deductive reasoning is undorfy!
You know what you have to do.
RELEASE THE CATS!

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2008, 12:54:17 pm »

a good reason not to read the wiki in it's entirety before playing.

It stands for Hidden Fun Stuff , or, the kind of suprises that can kill you quickly, but are a lot of fun, especially when you tell about it later.