Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Seed maximum cap broken  (Read 1200 times)

Viprince

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Seed maximum cap broken
« on: September 02, 2008, 04:43:42 am »

Myes so i'm not exactly sure how i got those extra 7 seeds in there. Note that at the time I wasn't actively farming or harvesting rope reeds. I was proccessing plants en masse and did not have rope reed on brew and they can't be cooked nor eaten raw. I did although have a multitude of hearbalists (well 2) actively rummaging for plants and seeds which as i see it is the explanation. If my assumption is correct then we'd have to update the wiki to put plant gathering as exempt from the seed cap.

Discuss
« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 04:45:17 am by Viprince »

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
Re: Seed maximum cap broken
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008, 04:52:46 am »

Hi!

I don't know how you came over the cap, but I do know that processing plants will also give you seeds. Only cooking (and rotting, I think) destroys them. Every other regular usage will give you seeds.

Deathworks

Viprince

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008, 04:58:16 am »

On a different note:

An annoying noble which I am currently building the intricate maze of death for gobbos which she will happily test as requested a few things i'd need some help with.

Large gems: I know they sometimes appear as by product of gem cutting but besides mass cutting is there a specific way to increase the chance of those being made. (I don't have access to rock crystal nor sand so raw glass cutting can't save me here)

The same bloody noble also mandated trumpets

Now I assumed trumpets would come out of a craftworshop pumping out wooden and rock musical instruments but alas according to the wiki and what i have observed trumpets are not actually craftable. Would this be that they have to be made out of metal instead of rock and wood or is this noble ust asking to die?

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2008, 05:13:39 am »

Large gems: I know they sometimes appear as by product of gem cutting but besides mass cutting is there a specific way to increase the chance of those being made. (I don't have access to rock crystal nor sand so raw glass cutting can't save me here)

Only by using the highest level gemcutter thsat you have. The probability of a large gem getting created depends on the skill level of the gem cutter.

blakyoshi7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2008, 11:44:09 am »

I've seen something similar happen with my FPS cap- sometimes when I pause the game it goes over 100 for just long enough to be visible. I'd guess that caps in Dwarf Fortress work something like 'If [number] is equal to or greater than [cap] then [number] cannot increase'. So if you get a bunch at once you might get over the cap, but afterward you can't increase it further.
Life is but a twinkle, a winking of an eye...

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2008, 02:29:34 pm »

Just request gems from the dwarven caravan. They'll bring googads of the things.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2008, 04:05:33 pm »

you went over the seed cap by buying seeds off a caravan.

They will bring you seeds if you are over the cap, and the cap won't magically disintegrate them or anything.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2008, 04:22:36 pm »

Hi!

I've seen something similar happen with my FPS cap- sometimes when I pause the game it goes over 100 for just long enough to be visible. I'd guess that caps in Dwarf Fortress work something like 'If [number] is equal to or greater than [cap] then [number] cannot increase'. So if you get a bunch at once you might get over the cap, but afterward you can't increase it further.

While I would rather not compare the FPS cap with any real ingame caps, I think you have a good idea there. After all, the population cap does work exactly as you describe it, and thus, it may very well be that the other in-game caps have the same mechanism.

Deathworks

JoRo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2008, 05:36:55 pm »

Now I assumed trumpets would come out of a craftworshop pumping out wooden and rock musical instruments but alas according to the wiki and what i have observed trumpets are not actually craftable. Would this be that they have to be made out of metal instead of rock and wood or is this noble ust asking to die?
According to the raws it doesn't look like there is any difference between the trumpet and the rest, and I'm fairly certain I've had some stone trumpets lying about.
EDIT: Yup, got a diorite trumpet right here.
You have been struck down.
The giant cave spider spits out your head.