Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Was wondering why I wasn't getting migrants ...  (Read 2547 times)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Was wondering why I wasn't getting migrants ...
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2008, 10:59:32 pm »

I just build a three wide corridor for quite a ways and line it with cage traps. I also put one bend in the corridor so that crossbow goblins can't shoot down it. Other than that I don't defend it, as the caravan guards will almost always find thieves who are trying to steal from them. What I do do, however, is heavily defend the tunnel between the trade depot and the rest of my fortress, with bridges and weapon traps.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Wolfius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2008, 11:18:58 pm »

My trade depot sits inside my Eastern Gatehouse, with doors on the inside, a drawbridge on the out, over a magma moat, and two expendable mook-animals chained on watch(war dogs are too valuable - dangerous animals kept killing them).

There're also statues every third tile along each side of the road to the map edge(leaving two-tile gaps), thus controlling the exact location wagon caravans enter the map at.

The gatehouse is incorporated into my wall defences, so the trade depot doubles as a killing field I can easily seal to trap hostiles, with marksdwarves above. Cage traps also sit three-deep on the inside of the doors, should I want caged gobbos or a building destroyer accidentally makes it into the gatehouse.

Doppel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2008, 04:42:32 am »

Maybe this is a good defense:

bridge closed

Code: [Select]
+++++++
+XXXXX++++++
.XXXXXB_/...
.XXXXXB_/...
.XXXXXB_/...
+XXXXX++++++
+++++++

bridge open

Code: [Select]
+++++++
+XXXXX++++++
.XXXXXBBB...
.XXXXXBBB...
.XXXXXBBB...
+XXXXX++++++
+++++++

+ = wall or fortification
X = tradedepot
. = floor
_ = one level down
/ = ramp down

Now the tunnel that would go under the bridge when its closed is very long, well protected and going back to where the tradedepot is (and where the entrance to your fortress is), so leave the bridge closed and open it for caravans to have fast access to your tradedepot. (or make them go the long way around in the tunnel)

(You could even have a double bridge system, if one opens, the other closes, until the caravan is safe in the depot,then switch them around. Kind of like an airlock, but then one connected to a long very well protected tunnel for whenever in "closed" status, so that the tradedepot is always reachable)
Doppel has been ecstatic lately. He took joy in playing DF lately. He slept on a rough cave keyboard recently.
He is a member of the Dwarf Fortress Forums.
Doppel likes the color Dark Blue, cats for their aloofness and girls for their silky soft brea beards.
He appreciates art and natural beauty.
Pages: 1 [2]