Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Multi Level Windmill Towers  (Read 2296 times)

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
Re: Multi Level Windmill Towers
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2008, 11:29:53 pm »

Thats an interesting idea for an off switch. I always just have an extra gear assembly as an off switch with nothing built on it, but that would be good if you had barely enough power to run your machines and not enough for the extra switch assembly.

Thats a scenario that I'd likely never face, though, considering how overkill I go when designing power generators...
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Lalandrathon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2008, 11:40:50 pm »

All this talking of power generation has made me want to build a DF adding machine.

Underwater.

In an area with zombie carp.

And I have to get up for work in 8 hours. :P

EDIT: Also, it will probably need a mechanism for flooding the world with magma.

Eater of Vermin

• Bay Watcher
  • [VERMIN_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2008, 03:17:23 am »

Extra points if it counts by flooding Nobles Quarters with magma.  (Flooded = 1, unflooded = 0)

OT, does anybody know if it's possible to stack windmills like screw pumps?  I don't think so, but it would make stacking easier.

(I'm actually trying this for myself, but my forts currently in the middle of a siege and at 5FPS I'm pretty damned sure it's quicker to ask here...   ::))
« Last Edit: September 04, 2008, 03:51:32 am by Eater of Vermin »
Dances with Kobolds

(Mamba in the Magma...  one, two, char-char-char!)

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2008, 03:59:52 am »

Thats an interesting idea for an off switch. I always just have an extra gear assembly as an off switch with nothing built on it, but that would be good if you had barely enough power to run your machines and not enough for the extra switch assembly.

Thats a scenario that I'd likely never face, though, considering how overkill I go when designing power generators...
in this case you can put next to your system that gear assambly too and it will be an OFF switch (if you put the gear on it stops the system working becouse it needs too much energy ...)
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2008, 04:22:32 am »

I always have too much energy to stop by putting a gear assembly, so I use a single gear assembly between whatever I want to turn off and my power source. Like I said, that sort of on/off switch would only be useful on very special cases - like when you have exactly enough power to run your machinery but not enough to add in the traditional on/off switch.

As far as stacking windmills, you cannot. The closest thing I've made to stacking windmills is the design I used on the map linked to in the first post. It has them stacked atop eachother supported by the vertical axles, but they do not connect to eachother until they get to the gear assemblies below.

You CAN build a windmill directly on top of another windmill by building a gearbox above it, but the top windmill's center square blocks the bottom one. As long as you offset the center squares, you can stack windmills. But directly stacking them just isn't possible, they don't act to support eachother.

You could probably come up with a design that stacks them even closer together, but I haven't felt the need to just yet. Doing so would likely require axles coming in from the side in order to support the next level of the stack.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2008, 04:24:41 am by Paul »
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Porpoisepower

• Bay Watcher
  • For Surely he is the Cuisinart Hat Rack
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2008, 08:18:43 am »

I'm now feeling tempted to build a wind powered pump that constantly fills a nobles room with water... of course the will be a second pump the noble can use to save himself from a watery demise... if he feels up to it he can pump himself to safety. 

Off Topic, levers cann't be connected to Ballista/other siege engines can they? Cause that would be awesome.
That's what DF needs, The gutbuster brigade.  Screw that elf and his cat. Thibbledorf Pwent is the real hero.

Blucher

• Bay Watcher
  • Had a fine beer lately.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2008, 02:20:32 pm »

An interesting idea, although that seems like an overabundance of power, and somewhat of a mess to distribute properly. I've got a few just plain 2 windmill " boxes " set up to power the pumps to my aqueduct at the moment, and i've noticed that with the gearboxes hooked up to a lever and set to " off " my windmills spontaneously deconstructed. It was rather weird. Have you ever had something like that happen?

I had this problem too, until I figured it out.  Sometimes a waterwheel (or windmill too apparently) will deconstruct if the gear assembly supporting it is turned off.  Just build another gear assembly and connect that to a lever to shut the power on and off.
Pages: 1 [2]