Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: The Discovery of the Magma Pipe!  (Read 1504 times)

Bryan Derksen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Discovery of the Magma Pipe!
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2008, 09:00:05 pm »

I usually just install a set of vertical bars (not a grate) in the magma pipe before I open the floodgate and let the magma through. It only requires one bar of magma-safe metal to construct, not much at all in the grand scheme of things.

One thing to keep in mind, flowing magma will push boulders along and bars/grates/fortifications will stop them, so if you put it right behind a floodgate the floodgate might get wedged open by them for however long it takes the boulders to melt away. Gave me an unpleasant shock in one fortress, though fortunately I'd designed my magma system so that it couldn't overflow in the interim.

Axe27

• Bay Watcher
  • Put down the crossbow
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2008, 11:50:50 pm »

Well, you live and you learn.

So, channeling from above, is now my new method of doing things.

And thus did the dream of dwarven antigravity fade away, not with a massive explosion or a flood of magma, but with a whimper.

I'm going to be depressed all day now.

JacobGreyson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2008, 02:22:09 pm »

I have a very specific way of dealing with magma forges.

The first thing I do is dig out a set of strips, each with two spaces of rock between them. These strips are all connected to a cross member, which extends into the pipe. I set in an Iron or steel (or Bauxite, if I remembered to bring some) grate right next to the magma pipe's still unbreached wall. Then, I head up and quickly open the magma pipe's native floor and channel out the last magma wall directly beside the grate. The magma will flow into the strips, which can be selectively channeled out and always have plenty of magma in them, and won't have enough magma in one big spot to spontaneously start generating Fire Imps (or something like that. I can't verify what exactly happened that time). Plus, it just seems much more efficient.

Porpoisepower

• Bay Watcher
  • For Surely he is the Cuisinart Hat Rack
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2008, 04:33:35 pm »

I usually dig out a room 3 squares wide right next to the pipe, smooth the warm wall and dig a fortification out of it... the extra room seems to dramatically increase the survival rate...
That's what DF needs, The gutbuster brigade.  Screw that elf and his cat. Thibbledorf Pwent is the real hero.

Dareon Clearwater

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:colorful underwear]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2008, 06:28:13 pm »

Well, you live and you learn.
Or, more accurately, your dwarves die and you learn.
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.
Pages: 1 [2]