Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: upgrading worn armor  (Read 1285 times)

msa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
upgrading worn armor
« on: August 29, 2008, 03:11:47 pm »

I recently developed a technique for upgrading the armor worn by my military dwarves. Its nothing brilliant, but I thought I would post it because I had a difficult time finding suggestions that did not require micromanaging (ie. individually forbidding/dumping unwanted armor).

It requires two stockpiles, A and B. A is a normal weapon/armor stockpile. B is a second stockpile with a few requirements: it is behind a door, it is set to take from A, and it is set to only accept inferior armor. During my first phase of upgrades, B is set to any non-steel or non-iron equipment, and for later phases it is set to lower quality levels.

To upgrade your dwarves, you downgrade the armor for a batch of soldiers (to chain, clothes, etc depending on level of paranoia). After a reasonable period of time has passed, your haulers will have moved all of the inferior armor to pile B. At this point, mark the door to B as forbidden, and then reset your soldiers' armor levels to plate. They will not be able to find a path to the inferior armor, and thus will not equip it. Repeat as necessary.

Aside from avoiding *too much* micromanaging, this technique also makes it easy to trade away inferior armor with the next wave of caravans.

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: upgrading worn armor
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2008, 03:20:00 pm »

I do something similar, but with opposite locations for A and B.  I also use an extra room connecting to A so that if I want to keep some of his armor (rather than wholesale replacement), I can lock the soldier in there while the haulers come put it in the stockpile where he'll actually pick it up.
HIDE THE WOMEN AND DROWN THE CHILDREN, THE BARON HAS ARRIVED.

FlyingScissorKick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2008, 03:27:19 pm »

Good idea. I've always used the good ol' dwarfs drop everything and then forbidding. I then get them to pickup plate again so they will grab the good stuff. I usually would melt down the inferior stuff as I don't care much for trading in my current location as it seems to be quite volatile and all caravans get wiped off the map before getting close.

msa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2008, 05:59:19 pm »

The only reason I wasn't satisfied with the methods listed above (although I only tried the later) was that it involved selecting individual dwarves or items. The reason I prefer the method I described is because its very hands off. I have to set up the b stockpile, and then the only thing I have to do to update a group of dwarves is:

1. Unlock a door
2. Change their armor level from the 'm'ilitary screen
3. Lock a door
4. Wait
5. Change their armor level from the 'm'ilitary screen

Too me, this goes a lot faster and requires far less attention than methods where I have to control the locations of individual dwarves, their discarded armor, or specific armor I want them to equip. Also, they can be done in groups--I typically update 4-6 at a time but I could do any number (nice in the late game).

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2008, 06:02:51 pm »