Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [40c]Disappearing Caged Elf  (Read 1175 times)

Willfrey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[40c]Disappearing Caged Elf
« on: September 02, 2008, 09:50:14 pm »

An elf caravan was attacked by an ambush, one of the Elves went into a rage and sprung one of my traps, becoming captured. 

Normally if a goblin springs a trap, it will list 'goblin cage' however it is simply labeled as alder cage, even though it is flashing with an 'E' in my stockpile.

I went to include him in my zoo, and when they use they 'Build cage' with his cage, the cage installs however the elf seems to disappear.  It doesn't dispaly it as being 'Elf Merchant cage' no will it flash with an 'E' anymore.  When I deconstruct it, it will return to my Animal Stockpile and flash with an 'E' again.

On top of that I can't seem to locate the elf anywhere on my Unit List.  I really wanted a elf proper in my zoo. :(

Haven't tried to spring him loose and see what happens, I have it saved.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 09:53:01 pm by Willfrey »

Krythorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [40c]Disappearing Caged Elf
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2008, 04:35:21 am »

Have you tried checking the cage itself to make sure the elf is still alive? He might have been wounded before becoming trapped and then bled to death.
I had a bunch of 'D' dog cages that behaved the same awhile back and it was only after trying to free the dogs in question I realised they were all dead.

Othob Rithol

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Dark Snathi, Rain & Tom Bombadil
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2008, 07:01:27 am »

I've had a similar, but slightly different issue with a goblin thief in a cage.
I caught two of them with my traps.
I decided to release them in my sparring area.
When I built them, they looked, and were labeled correctly.
Upon setting the goblin to be released, however, the cage quit blinking "g" (was empty).
Assuming he got away somehow, I took down the cage.
Once it returned to the stockpile (but not while waiting for hauling or when carried, it blinked "g" again.
I checked the units screen, and they both live.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 07:04:04 am by Othob Rithol »

Willfrey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2008, 07:43:16 pm »

I linked it to a lever, went to release the elf...  The cage acted like it released something, (the cage moved one tile northwest, was put back into storage), though it is still flashing with the 'E'.  On top of that it can't be used for cage traps.  A small bug, not really that big of a deal, but there still.

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2008, 01:11:51 pm »

Is the elf dead? Look at the contents of the cage.

Sometimes it will flash the creature inside even after it is dead.

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2008, 10:17:43 pm »

Is the elf dead? Look at the contents of the cage.

Sometimes it will flash the creature inside even after it is dead.

Actually it's flashing the creature's corpse. It does the same thing with seeds and bones left in cages by taming animals. Any items i suppose.
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

Willfrey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2008, 12:35:46 am »

I'm a dumbass.  It says Randomelfname's Corpse.  cant seem to release the corpse by conventional means...  Anyhow, if any dwarves wish to see a dead elf (I know I do) it will be avaliable in the zoo for their viewing pleasure

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2008, 12:40:46 am »

You should be able to use the stocks screen to mark it for dumping. I can't remember if you can mark it for dumping from the cage's contents screen or not, but it should definitely be in the stocks screen.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2008, 12:41:56 am »

You should be able to use the stocks screen to mark it for dumping. I can't remember if you can mark it for dumping from the cage's contents screen or not, but it should definitely be in the stocks screen.
I don't think that you can designate it for dumping from the cage.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.