Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: taking the fight to the conservatives!  (Read 1859 times)

Rezan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: taking the fight to the conservatives!
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2009, 09:40:26 am »

Isn't it kind of unfair that the CCS can send hoardes of enemies (literally the equivalent of 4+ squads) at you, while you can't throw more than ONE back at them? In general, the CCS also has a far superior militia than the LCS.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2009, 12:01:43 pm »

you can send a lot more men then them just get some people to talk up tons crack head,gagsters,hippes and the like up for a week, form them in to squads give them weapon,(knife,then handguns)then attack.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Rezan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2009, 06:05:33 pm »

Funk, I'm not a newbie. This is about conquering a safehouse in 4.00.x. In the old versions, it was too easy to conquer a safehouse, but now it's become more of a hassle. Like JSF says: You need to kill 25 people with a single squad. That means 6 people vs 25 people. You need a pretty high level on your Liberal Liberators for a decent chance of taking even the first base.

By "pretty high" I mean a squad of 10 agents at Elite Liberal with 10 in rifle, an M16 each, and army body armour for them all. A high dodge helps too.

In any case, I have two suggestions:

Lower the rate to 20 or so, to prevent the police from arriving when you're raiding the safehouse (I generally can't kill 25 actual CCS members, I have to end up killing at least 5 police officers to take over the safehouse... That doesn't feel right).

or

Have kills on one turn "stack", so you can order several squads to attack the safehouse in one day, and rack up a high kill count (then you could plausibly increase the kill requirement).

This would also allow the LCS to disperse heat over various safehouses rather than one (and prevent ludicrous kill counts that are very hard to fight in court without spending a fortune).

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2009, 07:12:41 pm »

The kill counts right now are just inherited from fighting off raids; it would be quite doable to simply them to a lower number, or even add specific alternative objectives, like "You must kill the leader character in the office and then get out in one piece." I should also ensure that the massive response on CCS safehouses is the CCS itself.

tehstefan

• Bay Watcher
  • R.I.P Bro. You were too good for this place
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2009, 11:28:30 pm »

I like that idea, seems more realistic, not just mass murder. Though thats not to say its not fun to mass murder people...
I suspect you've never tried doing many illegal things yet in your game. The second the CCS knows you're "active", they'll come down on you like the hammer of God.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2009, 02:48:56 am »

It would also open it up to alternative strategies for handling the situation. You could try to kidnap them, for example.

Rezan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2009, 07:16:22 am »

A more complex, but more original approach might be to leak the location to the police with files found in a raid/"snooped" by sleepers. Obviously that might be tricky if the police is C+ or C, though. Still, would be nice to have an alternative to violence.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2009, 02:10:39 pm »

Yeah, I was actually thinking about an option that required that you eliminate or convert the C+ police officer that's shielding the CCS from police action. Once that happens, the door is open to a major crackdown that would effectively be a safehouse kill. You wouldn't get to keep the safehouse, but you wouldn't have to assemble a squad of doom to do it either.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2009, 02:30:17 pm »

Another possibility along those lines would be to collect and publish damning evidence from a given CCS safehouse implicating their contacts on the force and causing that branch to receive unwanted, unfriendly attention from less sympathetic (or at least unimplicated) members of the police. IOW, add a vault deep in the safehouse that could be cracked for a publishable item to trigger a police siege/closure of said safehouse. If you sneak in and grab it undetected, no side affects; if you raise the alarm while retrieving it, an attempt to siege/raid the Liberal Guardian to retrieve the evidence before end-of-month could result.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2009, 02:54:23 pm »

I like that. Perhaps you could have the option of either publishing a list of their sleeper agents (requires a printing press) or acting on the information yourself to kill/kidnap/intimidate key CCS sleepers that are protecting them from law enforcement raids.

Gimmick Account

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2009, 04:11:02 pm »

Yeah, I was actually thinking about an option that required that you eliminate or convert the C+ police officer that's shielding the CCS from police action. Once that happens, the door is open to a major crackdown that would effectively be a safehouse kill. You wouldn't get to keep the safehouse, but you wouldn't have to assemble a squad of doom to do it either.

Back when we were talking about the National LCS concept, I suggested something like this, except the CCS mastermind wasn't going to be a police officer, but a senator/congressman in Washington D.C. (who, depending on the political climate, was either openly conservative or a conservative sleeper masquerading as a liberal). The idea was to travel to the national capital and kidnap/kill him in his luxurious residence. An elder politician having enough influence to shield a terrorist group is probably a little bit more believable than a single police officer of any rank doing the same thing.

There's no reason this suggestion HAS to be tied to the National LCS arc, though. A squad could simply be sent on a several day-long trip to Washington, at the end of which the game would initiate the on-site action (no additional city simulation required).

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2009, 05:53:29 pm »

Maybe the cop could be the "boss" of the first safehouse, and a Congressman the "boss" of the last one.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Gimmick Account

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2009, 05:57:10 pm »

Maybe the cop could be the "boss" of the first safehouse, and a Congressman the "boss" of the last one.

Why would the congressman hang out in a terrorist safehouse, especially after two others have already been shot up by the LCS? Even under ideal circumstances, he shouldn't be seen associating with the CCS. Plausible deniability, etc.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2009, 06:23:40 pm »

I'd figure the leaders of the CCS would be more prominent then just a random 'cop'.

Eminent Scientist or a new one, Police Chief.... or one of the other high juice conservatives...  (Being of higher juice then normal...  like 500 or 1000 juice equivalent.)

Not just some small fry who'd die with 3 ak-47 shots to the head...  or nm... anyone dies to that don't they? 
I have to test that out with a +17 Health character... somehow...

Maybe leaders won't always be at the safe house...  if its high security, they surely won't be found there.. or you'd get a dummy and think they closed down...  they simply move to another location and purge all spies...  weakened still, but not counted as a 'kill'...

Sleepers/spies give the info on when the leader will be at the safe house... depending on infiltration, may get false reports for a dummy?
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation
Pages: 1 [2]