Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Suiciding nobles  (Read 1043 times)

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Suiciding nobles
« on: August 25, 2008, 10:24:00 pm »

I've figured out an ingenious way to have some of the more uppity nobles off themselves for you.

I treat my broker/bookkeeper/trader very well, giving him a very nice room and even his own very elaborate tomb. He's the one useful noble so he gets all the good stuff. Including artifact furniture.

Well, I had the baron arrive with the rest of the annoying nobles. I was too busy moving mountains to worry about giving the baron his own room, meanwhile the lowly broker/bookkeeper/trader had a royal throne room, royal bedroom, royal tomb, and royal dining hall.

The baron was traumatized by the lesser noble's accommodations. In fact, he was so traumatized he flung himself into the lava pit only two seasons after arriving.

I'm thinking by simply giving your starting noble extremely good accommodations and not giving the immigrant nobles anything, they will all be driven mad by unfulfilled greed and off themselves, thus doing your work for you. Why build spike traps and drowning rooms when you can have them simply fling themselves into lava or give your military a practice target?

;D

Peewee

• Bay Watcher
  • Watcher Of Bays
    • View Profile
Re: Suiciding nobles
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2008, 11:07:04 pm »

Of course that would be useless if you had a legendary dining room.
hmmm... maybe I could give each individual dwarf a legendary dining room and give the worthless nobles nothing...

corc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2008, 11:54:40 pm »

or give them a 2x1 dining room made of wood and sun light (remake the ceiling) so they barf on their own stuff... also no door.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2008, 08:32:11 pm »

Not even the legendary dining room with 40 masterwork iron tables and chairs, all covered with masterwork engravings could stave off the madness of the baron.

The bookkeeper's artifact platinum throne and artifact steel cabinet were just that awesome.  ;D

Liwjatan

• Bay Watcher
  • I swallow your soul!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2008, 08:35:09 pm »

Does this work for the hammerer? I recall never seeing an unhappy though ´bout other noble´s quarters in her/his profile. Well, s/he does have a "doesn´t really care about anything anymore"-tag...

Wild Goose

• Bay Watcher
  • My Avatar Has Something Green. Yay solidarity!
    • View Profile
The Grey Eminence
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2008, 10:22:04 pm »

Heh, so far, my nobles haven't been bad at all.  Baroness and Baron consort have been fine, made few mandates/demands, Tax collector does jack, since there's no money, and the Hammer is actually useful; she pulls levers when she's not busy polishing her hammer.

But they pale compared to my Bookeeper/Manager/Hoardmaster Domas Astkurik.  He was the original Mayor, but a new Obok Otilinlod was elected second year and has maintained that position.  No matter; Domas does all administrative work, and quiet a bit else too.  Even with the new mayor and all the nobles, Domas still gets the best (and only) custom job title; Grey Eminence.
"Adventurer's Motto; Take everything not nailed down and nail down whoever tries to stop you."

"Whatever happens, we have got the ballista and they have not."

The dwarven economy is just a stand-in, from what I understand. As it is, it represents an actual economic system about as well as poison ivy represents a salad.

Dorten

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAFFEINE_DEPENDENT ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2008, 05:20:58 am »

In my experience you don't have to give anything to anyone. In my current fort baroness consort went insane because she was envious to some long dead dwarf. You know, he had a grave, and she did not... Now she has precisely same grave as him, hope she's happy now. 

Baron is on the edge too.
Cacodemon 2nd Leutenant
medals: 8/40
specials: 30/44
badges: 13:8:3:0:0

Rhenaya

• Bay Watcher
  • Usstan tlun natha hargluk ssinssriggin ilythiiri!
    • View Profile
    • X-Fire Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2008, 08:16:36 am »

that explains a lot... i never spend any attention on my nobles... and now i got some nice rampage because auf the duke (after a dead countess and a dead count gone berserk and killed by some militarys)
User Profile: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/User:Rhenaya
Mods: http://dffd.wimbli.com/who.php?id=554

From "Angroshs Kinder" Das schwarze Auge Zwergenhandbuch - (Angrosh Children, the dark eye, german pen&paper, dwarven handbook):
"Elves!? Their men dont wear beards, and their women bathe nacked to lure you into the water and drown you. Thank Angrosh they are as ugly as the day and all big and skinny."

Joseph Miles

• Bay Watcher
  • DF isn't a game, its a way of life!
    • View Profile
    • http://bugger92.proboards91.com/
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2008, 08:32:41 am »

I treat my broker/bookkeeper/trader very well, giving him a very nice room and even his own very elaborate tomb. He's the one useful noble so he gets all the good stuff. Including artifact furniture.

What about the dungeonmaster? He's pretty useful.

Of course that would be useless if you had a legendary dining room.
hmmm... maybe I could give each individual dwarf a legendary dining room and give the worthless nobles nothing...

I already do that, my dwarves each have a private dining room and office ;)
Cog - He's the new Urist.
Yes they are a bunch of drunken unstable retards, but they're MY drunken unstable retards, and I will take care of them.
It could be worse, that cat could be alive.