Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Age of Heroes: Ospazosmlo  (Read 2573 times)

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Age of Heroes: Ospazosmlo
« on: August 23, 2008, 08:45:28 pm »

"Age of Heroes: The last of the powers fought their final battles."

I haven't studied history much during leadership school. I haven't studied how to run a fortress. To be honest, I really just goofed off, attending parties and plotting what mandates I'll ask my followers to follow, to the letter. I did not care of the great "Titan Rampages" that was occurred during the Age of Myth, which was pretty ironic, considering that my grandfather actually lost his life fighting against a Hydra. Why should I? Most of the terrible monsters are dead, after all. Every day, more and more elves, drawfs, and humans are converting to the "Roads of Stability" religion, worshipping the God-King Lorbam Ducimasol, the Destined Messiah of "The Windy Dimensions" (the world of Ospazosmlo)...defecting from the heretical "Lenses of Phrasing" and the militaristic "Sabres of Intensity" Drawf cults, the various secular civilizations of the Elves, and the greedy Confederations of Humans.

We live in a more civilized period, don't we? Don't the lessons of the past mean nothing now?

How wrong I was. While I was partying out at night, the various kingdoms bickered amongst themselves for control over the vast Earth that we inherited from the Titans. These civilizations engage in petty power-games, hoping to gain the edge necessary to triumph. The myriad alliances that held the civilizations together during the Titan Wars were falling apart, and a global war was about to begin.

Alas, when it came to the Final Exams, I panicked, not because I realized what I was getting myself into, but because I didn't want my bloodline to be disappointed. Instead of doing the right thing and resigning, I cheated.

This was the punishment of the Gods. Welcome to Ozkaktun, Year 219.

(OOC Note: This is going to be my first play of DF, and it's likely this fortress is going to go down, down, down [hence the depressing nature]. But I'll try to add some "politics" into this LP, to make it interesting. Also, if you like to put yourself in the LP, just state so, as well as what you would like to do.

In order to try and keep me motivated to actually pull this off, as well as keep this thread busy, I'll also allow anyone who wish to take a part of the LP to make statements as to what they would want to do and how they would wish to deal with the major foreign policy problems (as well as internal issues, if they happen). I'll decide what my Leader will choose, but the results will affect the LP itself.

It is requested, but not required, to use this profile template when adding yourself in

Name:
Profession:
Personality:)
« Last Edit: August 23, 2008, 08:51:10 pm by Servant Corps »
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

zorp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Age of Heroes: Ospazosmlo
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2008, 10:33:18 pm »

Good luck!
Zorpius
Bookeeper/Broker (both if its ok with you, one or other is fine though)
(what do you mean by personality lol?) Focused on his work, Seems cold, but is nice at heart.
(he can have other skills as well)

magikarcher

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2008, 11:23:47 pm »

Name: Lieutenant Thornhall
Profession: Axedwarf/Sheriff (when possible)
Personality: Outgoing and overly trusting. He also has quite a temper when pushed, though he rarely gets upset.
Background: After escaping from his captors at the age of 34 he fled to the dwarven capital, reuniting with his family. He rose to the top of his Military Training Class and has over 300 career kills, over 250 of which were goblins belonging to his old captor's civilization.

Also, this is my first community game, so I may have gone a bit overboard in detail.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2008, 12:20:22 am »

A virgin's fortress?  Awesome!

My advice: don't go overboard.  I started with an ultimate construction in mind, thinking I could work out the details as I went.  Well, turns out that my ultimate construction was a bit harder then I thought it would be and I needed to spend a few games to learn the gritty details first. 
So, concentrate on the gritty details, make beer, keep your workshops busy (aren't masons great?) and get a basic defense set up (crossbowdwarves and traps are both easy and effective).  Moods will hit soon enough, giving you legendary craftdwarf moneymakers and jumpstarting your ability to trade.  Once you've got an overcrowded fortress full of needy dwarves you'll be ready to ignore their needs and concentrate on awesome projects.

Now that I've given you a bunch of advice you probably don't know what to do with, may I claim a dwarf?
Name: Ukat Luslemidek
Profession: Seige Engineer (you probably don't need one of those, so crossbow dwarf or lowly carpenter/woodcutter is acceptable as well.)
Background:  Ukat is the product of a siege academy where she learned everything but common sense.
Personality:  A bit impulsive and misguided meaning that she can be out of place in social situations, vengeful or even paranoid but also dedicated, enthusiastic or undauntable
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Flintus10

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2008, 03:46:54 am »

Wooo let's see where this community fort ends up  :D

Name:Flint
Proffesion: Miner
Personality:Gruff and tough dwarf who prefers to be alone and at work however when the Swamp whisky comes out he may become a bit more "social"

MercDraco

• Bay Watcher
  • Royal Hammerer, Smasher of Stupid Nobles,
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2008, 04:14:19 am »

Name: Dracnor
Profession: Blacksmith/Metalsmith/Furance/Weapon/Armor (Da Smith)
Personality:Hard Working, Hard Partying, social but hates slackers and stupid mandates, tends to ignore Nobles who issue stupid mandates, and tends to Wreck the jail when farmers are issued 2+ hammerstrikes for not producing adamaintine socks.
Special: Request Pet Kitty for the fortress (good vermin control and excellent kobold spotters.)
The Cake...is...a...LIE!!!
The Worlds Best Trap includes a single left footed -Pig Tail- sock.
Madness? This isn't Madness...This is DWARF FORTRESS.

Sparrow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2008, 05:22:53 am »

Name: Sparrow
Profession: Mason/Engraver
Personality: Sometimes lazy, but when has a motive is very creative. Likes danger.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2008, 11:58:17 am »

A few days before we reached Ozkaktun, we had to decide who would lead "The Perfect Construct", our trading expedition (We did not know the irony of our hubris at the time).

In the running was me and an obscure Jeweler. While I had a proud bloodline behind me to back me up, the Jeweler had connections with several succesful businessmen and is known for his work. In order to secure the leadership position (and thereby not suffer the consquences of having to work), we made a compromise, dividing control over the entire Expedition in half. I gained the nominal title of Manager, while the Jeweler, named Zorpius, get the important positions of Broker and Bookkeeper.

When we reached there, I laid out several of my plans to the workers and expected them to get to work. These plans were to solely the extent of "Build a fortress" or "Protect the city", with no other detail added. More...'concerte' "mandates" were seen as impractical, even foolhardy...but not before we actually tried them out to find out how silly they are.

One of these mandates was to create Stockpiles outside of the fortress (that was to be built eventually), keeping everything outside so that it would be easy to find them, rather than putting it inside of a Fortress. I was planning on keeping them outside constantly, using techinques in order to ensure they won't spoil.

In my more sober times, this was my dream project. By creating a stockpile outside that would not spoil, I would be able to increase productivity, because fortresses would no longer need to waste living spaces to hold stockpiles.

However, it turns out that the techinques...weren't actually 'real'. Things that looked very good on paper didn't translate into real-world problems. Constant sacrifices, and lookouts were impractical with the resources we got, and the drinking parties, while entertaining, did not materalize a fortress as I hoped. Quickly, the whole enterprise was deemed futile, and on a rainy night, I quietly abanonded the project.

In order to not court any more opposition, and not to be revealed as a fraud, I consulted the lone Miner named Flint, and grant him free reign to build the fortress.

This was the result. We finally begun digging, but there is still more to do...I ordered the building of strucutres, hopefully to complete them by the time caravans arrive with more supplies. Hopefully. I dismantled some of the wagon in order to produce some wood, and ordered my woodcutters to cut some of the wood in the area in order to help fund the rest.

Which led to the second Mandate. During my studies, I learnt about the need of proper wood in order to ensure the basic structure of the building. Improper wood can cause the entire Drawven society to collaspe, due to unhappiness caused by the wood, not pleasing the Gods, etc. There were many factions in the Leadership School that argued over what wood to use, which seems werid, considering that relatively few of us ever sought to ask the Elves (who knows this stuff more than anyone else) about wood.

I belonged to a Purist school of thought and therefore commanded everyone to use only Pine Wood.

Which was a problem. Pine Wood is very, very rare. But I didn't realize this until far too late. And even then, my fear still got the best of me, because I can recount many, many different drawf cities that collasped due to the non-use of Pine Wood.

So, instead of building, we sat around and partyed day in and day out. Most of us were idle, living off the foodstuff we had, while our lone woodcutter went out in search of pine wood. The only way to find out if a wood is "pine" is if you cut it down, so usually our devoted woodcutter would cut the wood, and bring it over to a certified "Pine Wood Expert" (me). If a wood is declared "pine", it is to be used, otherwise, if a wood is declared "non-pine", it would be thrown in the water to be destroyed, because, as a Purist, I did not want people accidently using the wrong type of wood, and causing massive problems.

Eventually, this got on everyone's nerve. Around this time, I think Zoripus begun plotting his military coup.

EDIT:

And our fearless leader, Ablel.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2008, 12:26:01 pm by Servant Corps »
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2008, 01:06:40 pm »

I'm unnerved by the suggestion that our leader considers drunkenness to be something beyond the norm.  The notion of following a sober dwarf is truly scary.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

zorp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2008, 07:39:45 pm »

Zoripus FTW! lol misspellin dont matter that much to me, Mind sending me these files Zipped at www.bendavis@hotmail.com? i wish to experiment and hate world gen.