Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Epic families  (Read 1021 times)

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
Epic families
« on: August 25, 2008, 03:57:58 pm »

It might new with .40, or it might be because my current fort is the first reclaimed fort I've played for any length of time, but for the first time I have a fort populated with large, totally badass families.  One is headed by the dwarf who basically founded the fortress--he did most of the mining and dominated my initial military with eight notable kills and 26 others, enough to earn him the name 'Singed Lizard of Barricading'.  With his wife the broker (who's in line to be mayor), he has two sons and two daughters.  Another family is a married pair of titled champion sworddwarves with 27 notable kills between them.  One of the kills was a third champion, tragically killed in a sparring accident.  As the only champions left, the couple is about as deadly as most of the rest of my fort combined.  So far they've had three sons, but their eldest was kidnapped by a goblin.  With any luck, they will someday reunite in battle...

Is this anything new?  In all of my former forts, few important dwarves ended up married and families stayed small.  My first thought was that this could be a stab toward solving the impending problem with finishing the army arc: where do you get the cannon fodder necessary to make enough sieges to keep dwarf mode fun and challenging?  Boosting the birthrate is a start, at least.  My second thought was that this is awesome, and there's gotta be people out there with even more awesome families than mine, spanning generations even.  Are other interesting family behaviors possible right now, like family vs. family grudges?

Hypcso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Epic families
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2008, 05:49:58 pm »

One of my fortresses has two maxed legendary couples with about 30 children each. Every year the Mayorship passes between the two female dwarves. I'd say it's something like a rivalry.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Epic families
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2008, 05:53:49 pm »

i'd say the birthrate is an indirect efffect, and the marriage rate which has increased