Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Invaders OFF  (Read 1068 times)

magikarcher

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Poster
    • View Profile
Invaders OFF
« on: August 27, 2008, 04:50:08 pm »

Do I have to generate a new world when I turn invaders off?

Joseph Miles

• Bay Watcher
  • DF isn't a game, its a way of life!
    • View Profile
    • http://bugger92.proboards91.com/
Re: Invaders OFF
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2008, 04:51:04 pm »

Nope, never need to regen with init files.
Cog - He's the new Urist.
Yes they are a bunch of drunken unstable retards, but they're MY drunken unstable retards, and I will take care of them.
It could be worse, that cat could be alive.

magikarcher

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2008, 04:53:53 pm »

Oh sweet. Thanks.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2008, 04:41:31 pm »

You may have to wait a season for the effects, though, so don't be surprised if you get one last siege. It's still working - the siege was just scheduled before you turned them off.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

magikarcher

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2008, 04:46:30 pm »

My fort had only been running for like 3 minutes, not even a whole month, before I turned it off.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2008, 06:29:06 pm »

Fortress mode without invasions, for the moment, is practically useless.  Sure, you can build a fort..  But nothing..  happens.
Course, you could use it like a "sandbox" mode and then re-enable it when you feel your fort's ready, but where's the fun in that?
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

zorp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2008, 06:43:31 pm »

iv never had a siege or attack. ever. the only change iv made to Init files is turning off the music.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2008, 06:44:44 pm »

You don't get sieges until 80 dwarves.
You don't get ambushes unless you spot them.  Likewise with snatchers/theives.
Or it could be that you're not close enough to (or a complete lack of) a goblin civ.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Keolah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2008, 12:46:00 am »

Fortress mode without invasions, for the moment, is practically useless.  Sure, you can build a fort..  But nothing..  happens.
Course, you could use it like a "sandbox" mode and then re-enable it when you feel your fort's ready, but where's the fun in that?

Or you could be testing a mod and just want to let it run a bit without having to worry too much about defenses? :)
There's no use crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of *cat tallow roast*.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2008, 03:41:00 am »

I've been playing with mute goblins without babysnatcher who come every winter with ever increasing siege forces. And I mean every winter, including the very first. It's interesting enough, but it's turning into an iron overload. I'm having to build magma forges all over the place to melt everything down, and I'm wasting all the iron training a bunch of different smiths just to get rid of it.

I'm still waiting for a group powerful enough to challenge my two super legendary warriors, though. So far they've only received minor wounds which healed up in seconds. I guess the masterwork steel plate does it's job. Maybe I should strip them down and send them in with a shield and sword Celtic style. They'd probably still do fine, considering most enemies they face get sent flying into pieces in all directions the second they touch them.

The last siege there were 3 legendary named goblins that I thought might pose a challenge, but ONE of my guys took all three of them with their entourage by himself - the other guy decided to go get a drink. And they all died instantly... two had their heads fly off in a bloody arc, and the third's body went flying, leaving both legs where he was standing. Then all the rest broke off and fled, including the squads that hadn't even made it to my door yet. I guess I would too if I saw all three of my leaders get chopped apart by a steel clad sword wielding maniac.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link