Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Holy Giant Mounds of Stone,Batman!  (Read 971 times)

Axe27

• Bay Watcher
  • Put down the crossbow
    • View Profile
Holy Giant Mounds of Stone,Batman!
« on: August 24, 2008, 08:41:16 pm »

So, recently, whilst exploratory mining, I found myself with huge stockpiles filled up with limestone. So, I set my craftsdwarf on his merry way filling up stockpiles and stockpiles with stone crafts. So, two question. One, is this really a good trading option, and two, what do you do with giant mounds of stone?
And thus did the dream of dwarven antigravity fade away, not with a massive explosion or a flood of magma, but with a whimper.

I'm going to be depressed all day now.

Haven

• Bay Watcher
  • Studiously Avoidant
    • View Profile
Re: Holy Giant Mounds of Stone,Batman!
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2008, 08:47:43 pm »

Well, it's certainly a minimal-impact trade option, easiest to leave on autopilot.

With the new functions, I just tend to Hide all the stone in the rooms, though I used to quantum dump the stuff and forget about it.

Dasqoot

• Bay Watcher
  • He-wenching for the cause.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2008, 08:49:48 pm »

Remember that limestone is useful for making steel too, so if you have any magnetite or hematite on your map you might want to keep a bunch around.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2008, 08:52:46 pm »

Limestone is a flux material, I'd suggest saving quite a bit for steel making. Even if you don't have ore, you might want to smelt goblin equipment later on

Grand_Marquis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2008, 09:16:06 pm »

Indeed. Of course, you can always reclaim dump sites later on.  And since dump sites exist in a quantum space, they're much easier to manage than unwieldy stone stockpiles  ;)

Skanky

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm building a wagon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2008, 09:19:08 pm »

As a trade good, stone crafts are actually quite poor. Metal, cloth or even food trade goods are worth a significant amount of monies more for the same amount of dwarf labour. They do have their benefits though. They get rid of otherwise useless stone (non-economic stone), it is easy to set up and they train up stone crafting skill, allowing you to create masterwork obsidian swords if you have access to obsidian and wood.

Personally, I wouldn't use economic stone unless there was a very large amount lying around.
"Quickly now, the goblins are more devious these days." - Captain Mayday

EvilCheerio

• Bay Watcher
  • Whats Candlejack doing h
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2008, 09:35:19 pm »

Also note that, as a flux stone, Limestone is worth twice regular stone. A material value of 2 instead of 1 may not seem like much, but it means that anything made from limestone is worth twice the value. I love stone crafts, but that may just be because i got a legendary stone crafter off a strange mood.
Delicious wine biscuits
 A real dwarf can survive on meals consisting of Wine, beer, and more wine.

Jualin

• Bay Watcher
  • What's that sound?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2008, 09:51:52 pm »

... I love stone crafts, but that may just be because i got a legendary stone crafter off a strange mood.

I hear you. I can't get over selling caravans rock instruments.

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2008, 10:25:33 pm »

I tend to use stonecrafts for trade goods simply because they're easy. None of this messing about with multiple workshops for a finished product and such. Just plop down a craftsdwarf's workshop and start cranking them out.
Quote from: ThreeToe
This story had a slide down a chute. Everybody likes chutes.

kurisukun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2008, 10:28:33 pm »

When you get a caravan paying double for instruments, and are using flux, with a legendary stonecrafter or two, you can pump out CRAZY amounts of trade-worth (which allows you to buy a ton of cloth for your legendary weaver/clothier to play with)

Axe27

• Bay Watcher
  • Put down the crossbow
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2008, 11:00:51 pm »

Heh. I also have a very active fishing industry, and an active butchery (Freshwater marshes), so I pump out shell crafts and bone crafts with ease. I just gave the dwarves a crapload of useless stone crafts for much needed bags, and thread.
And thus did the dream of dwarven antigravity fade away, not with a massive explosion or a flood of magma, but with a whimper.

I'm going to be depressed all day now.