- 2 (33.3%)
Alright.
- 2 (33.3%)
It was okay.
- 1 (16.7%)
I haven't read it all...
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Author Topic: Menkith, Forger of Destiny  (Read 1276 times)

magikarcher

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Poster
    • View Profile
Menkith, Forger of Destiny
« on: August 23, 2008, 11:34:46 pm »

This is my first attempt at a Community Story. I might forget about it, but I check the forums multiple times daily so I might not. I am going to disable all mods, except for one that adds a ton of creatures and plants and Sean Mirrsens Mart Mod+. I will update this when my world has genned and I have an idea for a story and a starting spot. WARNING: I am not necessarily a great Dwarf Fortress player, and I am fairly impatient. EDIT: Any suggestions for a DF story game?

----------
PROLOGUE
----------
    Its hard to believe that one arrow can change so much so fast. Had it not been shot the oppressive old ways wouldn't have changed for generations, if at all. It must have been destiny for it to fly so accurately through the chilly gusts of The Haven. It changed so many lives, it changed so many plans. You may find it hard to believe, but the fate of a nation changed from the death of a barkeep. Though, surely, he wasn't any barkeep.
-----
    Born in a small copper mining town, named Tetravale accordingly, in the southern edge of the empire, Menkith Fuller wasn't destined for the confines of that small village. He had quite a normal childhood, born into quite a normal family, living in quite a normal town. At the age of 15 he apprenticed in the mines, quickly becoming a favorite out of thirty apprentices. He didn't really enjoy mining, unlike the other dwarves, infact it was more of a burden than a hobby. But, as I said, this wasn't his destiny.
    After 8 years of working in the mines his biggest accomplishment, at the age of 23, was being the regional champion of speed mining. Of course that is quite an honor, but Menkith didn't really care. The village praised him, and he became mayor at age 29, another seemingly important achievement. Menkith still looked up at the towering mountain of the Haven hoping to one day visit, incase I haven't yet mentioned.
    This is how he lived his life for 10 years. Quite a normal life, atleast to Menkith. At this point he had also found a vein of native gold and had accumulated quite a large amount of gems. Being such an honest dwarf, all of it went to his village. He still hoped that this wasn't how he would spend his life.
-----
    Thunder broke, soldiers marched, destruction loomed. The goblins had set fire to Tetravale, most of the residents had escaped. Menkith was working in the mines that day, being such a pleasant dwarf he didn't even mention the poor weather. Though, the alarm bells chimed through the mine. Menkith had planned for this moment, having a half mined escape route prepared. He lead the miners to it and ran to the outside, armed only with his pick.
    He confronted a small group of goblins outside of a hovel, they charged. Menkith had no skill in combat, except for sparring with sticks as a child. He struck ferociously, but missed. He had lost hold of his pick and it went flying, the goblins chuckled, proceeding further forwards. Suddenly a large crash echoed through the alley, a crate had fallen letting loose toy marbles. Menkith hadn't intended for this to happen, though he was pleased. The goblins didn't trip, but were seduced by the shiny nature of the marbles.
    Being such a forgiving dwarf, Menkith grabbed his pick and ran to the gates, after ensuring his villagers' safety of course. He meant with the villagers, and organized them in to five different groups. He sent each group of seven dwarves in different directions, himself heading towards the Haven. This was the awakening of destiny.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2008, 02:43:47 am by magikarcher »

magikarcher

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Histories of Tyranny and Pride
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2008, 02:31:17 am »

-----------
CHAPTER 1
-----------
   The first group had 'arrived' at their 'destination'. Really what had happened was the leader of the first group didn't want the other dwarves to fear the fact the front left tire broke off. So being a natural leader, Urist, told them that he took it off as a symbol of independence. Having brought only whatever they could toss together the ragtag group of three villagers, a hammerdwarf, a woodcutter, a mechanic, and Urist who is also a miner.
   They all had such colorful pasts, I cannot even begin to explain them without having to fetch another jar of ink.
-----
Urist's Log - Granite Day 1
-----
Well, I don't really know how to do this stuff. But here is what I did.
INVENTORY
Iron Anvil - 1
Dwarven Wine - 17
Dwarven White Wine - 7
Dwarven Rum - 11
Steel War Hammer - 1
Steel Hatchet - 1
Copper Pick - 2
Copper Crossbow - 1
Coyote Meat - 9
Plump Helmet Spawn - Do I have to count those little spore? man I dont like this job.
Coffee Beans - More little things to count, they just grow things thats all I care.
Cave Cucumber Seeds - Where the Armok did these come from??? What is a cave cucumber?!
Pig Tail Seeds - How do you grow a 'pig tail'. I will leave it to the growe- oh right...
---

Well that was boring. Well looks like I need to assign some tasks and do some mining. How do I build a farm? Oh Armok this isn't fun. Menkith, why did you have to tell me to lead em you scallywag.
-----
Urist's Log - Granite Day 10
-----
    I ordered the chopping of trees while my hammerdwarf prepared his hammer. I also mined down a few dozen feet with stairs. I passed layers of rock salt granite and slate, accompanied by a young apprentice miner of my own. We had also prepared a farming area with a food stockpile. This sure isn't as easy as sitting in the mine back in the mines back in Tetravale.
-----
Urist's Log - Granite Day 23
-----
    I have ordered the construction of a carpenters workshop and a masons workshop. The farmer has planted some seeds and the hammerdwarf has done some hunting. We are running smoothly so far. We also have some tables and chairs for two dining rooms, and I am going to need an office. Bah an office...
-----
« Last Edit: August 24, 2008, 03:29:53 am by magikarcher »

magikarcher

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Menkith, Forger of Destiny
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2008, 03:32:55 am »

-----
Urist's Log - Slate Day 21
-----
    I lost the logbook, it was buried under a piece of slate. Well, the hammerdwarf is now our meat producer and animal worker. The farmer has started brewing. The bedroom has been constructed deep underground. And I helped the apprentice miner dig out a moat. On a side note, we found a rock crystal, hopefully the first of many.
-----
Urist's Log - Slate Day 24
    Flood. It was horrible, we accidentally flooded the fortress. The carefully measure moat flooded the fortress. It is connected to an infinite water source, so we may never recover it. All the food is down there, we can't get any of it.Thankfully, noone was hurt.
-----
Urist's Log - Slate Day 27
    We fled the site, hopefully to reunite with Menkith or any of the dwarves. I hope that Menkith isn't too disappointed in us. Atleast none of the goblins caught scent of us.
-----
END
-----
=====
-----------
CHAPTER 2
-----------
   The bowman powerfully drew the string of his masterfully constructed maple bow. It flew through the chilly winds, shattering a window into the bar, striking the barkeep. *obscured words* ran towards the barkeep, and glanced out the window hopefully catching a glimpse of the attacker. He saw a swift movement in the shadows, as whoever it was ran back across the rooftops.
---
    That night in the tavern, they had been recollecting about Menkith's journey so long ago. It was a legend in the Haven, favored even by the King. (fades to scratches)
Mutters 'Curses, out of ink... The general store is closed as well... I will resume tomorrow.'
« Last Edit: August 24, 2008, 03:45:10 am by magikarcher »