Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: War with the dwarven civilization - good idea to do?  (Read 945 times)

dingoperson

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
War with the dwarven civilization - good idea to do?
« on: August 23, 2008, 02:23:10 pm »

I've got 20 fighters legendary in various arts - everyone in wrestling, and shield use, and various weapons.

I've got another 40 legendary pumpers wrestling and shielding their way up.

One entrance protected by a double drainable moat, the other one by a trio of legendary ballista crews.

The problem is that it's gotten somewhat boring - when the very occasional goblin siege happens, it's always only one or two groups. It's also tedious to equip all my dwarves with armor, replace their clothes etc - so I had the idea of slaughtering a few dwarven caravans in the hope that they will siege. All the useless Goblin equipment would then be piles and piles of steel armor and clothes, ready for use.

Is this a good idea? Is there a way to return to peace? Will I still get immigrants?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This is only my third fortress, so I would prefer not to screw it up permanently.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
Re: War with the dwarven civilization - good idea to do?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2008, 02:38:07 pm »

Hell, I'm not even sure if it's possible to ignite a war post-worldgen yet.

Some people say you can, but I've yet to see proof either way.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2008, 02:40:08 pm »

Nope, can't go to war with your own civ. As for warring with other dwarven civ's I don't know.

I do know that messing with the caravans from your own civ can cause immigrant problems. Just order a bunch of steel gear and make a freakin-ton of high-quality food to trade for it.

Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2008, 02:49:01 pm »

You dont' "win the game" when the King comes, it's just another noble to annoy your dwarves.

And your fortress becomes the capital of your civilization, which is annoying, because the Liason stops coming.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

dingoperson

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2008, 02:55:50 pm »

If he is the last noble to appear, that's winning enough for me ;D
So the best advice would be to restart somewhere more dangerous?
Asking for steel items is a good idea, thanks..