Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Must - not - kill - traders!  (Read 929 times)

Heliomance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Must - not - kill - traders!
« on: January 21, 2010, 07:05:24 pm »

So the dwarves brought their autumn caravan. Finally, a way to get rid of some of this excess armour that's lying about cluttering the place up. So I go and take a look - and they've brought two donkeys. No wagons, just two donkeys. And it's looking like I might get the never finish unloading glitch. They're lucky I haven't set a deathtrap up in my depot, I'd be very tempted to trigger it.

EDIT: Ah, here come the wagons. 10 minutes behind the start of the caravan.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 07:07:46 pm by Heliomance »

Slayer1557

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Must - not - kill - traders!
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 07:43:34 pm »

Yea, I really hate slow wagons.  I've had wagons show up after the caravan is already starting to leave!  And I never got the chance to trade.  I guess that's what I get for asking for every kind of metal bar at max request.

xdarkcodex

• Bay Watcher
  • Watch in awe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2010, 07:47:44 pm »

You could rebuild the depot closer to the wagons.
the statement below is true
the statement above is false

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2010, 07:50:44 pm »

Melt the goblinite down.

Its an unlimited source of iron for your metalworkers.

monkeyfetus

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring:terrible puns]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2010, 07:55:36 pm »

That only works if you have magma. Otherwise, the limiting factor is fuel, not metal, and it's more efficient to just smelt more iron.
Why does my adventurer keep crying?
Greiger's is actually correct...  sadly enough.  The emotional circumstance processor is still turned on, with a randomly rolled up personality, but they can't express themselves or take control...  they can only cry.

Heliomance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2010, 07:57:19 pm »

Aye, I have no magma. Also, it's dwarfite, not goblinite - I've lost track of how many times I've reclaimed this piece of land. And my fuel is in steep demand anyway - I'm building an above-ground fortress entirely out of clear glass and golden blocks.

Loyal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rogueish looks]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2010, 10:28:53 am »

Plus that only applies to the iron equipment anyway. That still leaves the remaining 80-90% of the non-metal equipment.

Canadark

• Bay Watcher
  • meet me in the mead hall
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2010, 12:50:31 pm »

I've seen this too. Why do the wagons go so slowly sometimes?
You all do know that we everytime we gen a world in DF, a new universe is created somewhere, and everytime we delete a save we kill a whole world?
Aye, we are Armok, god of blood, evil, villager gutting, fortress building, legend making and elf thongs.

WünderBröt

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2010, 12:53:31 pm »

Build a Dwarven Atom Smasher.

XSI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2010, 01:12:07 pm »

Wagons sometimes move very slowly because they're overloaded.

Considering that the fort is being made out of gold and glass, I consider it likely he ordered gold, one of the heaviest metals, from the merchants.
The wagons just can't go any faster, just like dwarves and adventure mode anything, wagons move slower if they carry more weight. Just a few bars won't matter, but if they load up entire wagons with things of that weight then they're going to go very slowly.

Donkeys can't carry the big/bulky bars(Or at least not many), so they most likely carried the lighter goods, and arrived before the wagons.

If you want to slow them down even more, request platinum, it's even heavier then gold.

There is also a bug(?) with wagons going faster then dwarves can, I have no idea why that is.
What kind of statues are your masons making, that you think they have "maximum exposure"?
(Full frontal ones, apparently.  With very short beards.) 

Heliomance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2010, 01:42:54 pm »

Wagons sometimes move very slowly because they're overloaded.

Considering that the fort is being made out of gold and glass, I consider it likely he ordered gold, one of the heaviest metals, from the merchants.

Nope, first caravan of the latest reclaim.