Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Nightmares about moles...  (Read 1902 times)

technophile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Nightmares about moles...
« on: August 22, 2008, 04:07:22 pm »

I started a new fortress recently, in a much more challenging location than my last. My first real fortress didn't have anything more dangerous than wild horses; I didn't have my first death until a goblin ambush in year 3.

This one has a chasm, and an underground river I've not hit yet; it has ant men, giant bats, giant cave swallows, cave spiders, fire men, etc. I've lost three hunters and four tame animals (most of them to the same Giant Bat, who keeps evading my only trained Marksdwarf squad) in a little more than the first year.

So it was completely unsurprising to read that my current Ranger (who had actually managed a number of kills and was doing quite well) had been knocked unconscious. But the creature who attacked him seemed to grow bored and wander off without killing him, so a brave (and useless) Cheese Maker made a daring cross-map dash to rescue him. Several minutes later, he's convalescing in the hospital room, and I forget about him for a minute.

Until I see "Zulban Ukoshkol, Ranger cancels Rest: Interrupted by Giant Mole." Wait. What? Did the Giant Mole follow him down into my hospital, past the barracks door, to finish him off? I go look. Nope, nobody in there except the ranger. Shrug. A minute later...there it is again. Then the season changes to Winter, and suddenly I am inundated by messages about this Giant Mole.

Seriously, inundated:

Okay, so I go check the ranger's profile:

Great. Now I know why the Mountainhome was willing to ship me an experienced Ranger. :p

(Side note: is this a known bug, or something I should report? I have a convenient save...)

Ametsala

• Bay Watcher
  • "needs chocolate to get through the working day"
    • View Profile
Re: Nightmares about moles...
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2008, 05:14:01 pm »

Well it sounds like a bug (I don't think the game's supposed to repeat the same message 10000 times) but before reporting it you should probably search the list of reported bugs http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/dev_bugs.html and the bug reports part of the forum.

Skid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2008, 05:21:32 pm »

Yeah, I had the same problem, though by a farmer hallucinating about goblins.  I finally had a stone fall trap built on top of him so he would shut up and stop causing the game to lag.
Playing a cheesemaker in an average Fortress 'round here would be. Freaking. Terrifying.

technophile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2008, 07:35:22 pm »

Well, I'm not having any lag problems, at least (but then, I'm running DF on a quad-core workstation with 8GB of RAM... ;); had to lower the FPS cap to keep the months from ticking off in minutes), so I'll wait to see if he heals and stops spamming. If not perhaps he can be the first live test of my Chasm-Based Irritation Removal System. :p

technophile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2008, 07:43:32 pm »

It looks like it is a bug, Toady noted that it seemed related to another one here.

Although I kind of like the idea of an unconscious dwarf having terrible nightmares about his attacker.

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2008, 08:37:12 pm »

If Toady really meaned it the way that is described in the initial posting, that would really be awesome :D

If not it might be a good idea to implement. Things like dwarves having dreams that after awakening influence their mood (Meng Adiladek feels happy because he had a dream about lying in the arms of Iden Oltardodôk / Kib Zozmörul feels scared because she had a dream about goblins murdering her whole family)

Joseph Miles

• Bay Watcher
  • DF isn't a game, its a way of life!
    • View Profile
    • http://bugger92.proboards91.com/
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2008, 10:00:23 pm »

Yeah, I had the same problem, though by a farmer hallucinating about goblins.  I finally had a stone fall trap built on top of him so he would shut up and stop causing the game to lag.

Cage traps are more fun: Expendable army of berserkers, or suicidal people...or insane babbling horses.
Cog - He's the new Urist.
Yes they are a bunch of drunken unstable retards, but they're MY drunken unstable retards, and I will take care of them.
It could be worse, that cat could be alive.

technophile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2008, 10:22:34 am »

Hm, that's a good idea. Maybe I should cage trap him while he's out just in case he does wake up insane...

Joseph Miles

• Bay Watcher
  • DF isn't a game, its a way of life!
    • View Profile
    • http://bugger92.proboards91.com/
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2008, 11:30:15 am »

Nah, it wouldn't be from the dreams. They go insane from the bad thoughts about being in a cage so long. He'll probably break once he gets hungry or starving.
Cog - He's the new Urist.
Yes they are a bunch of drunken unstable retards, but they're MY drunken unstable retards, and I will take care of them.
It could be worse, that cat could be alive.