Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 7 dwarves, no supplies, no clue, no chance  (Read 1564 times)

Lalandrathon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
7 dwarves, no supplies, no clue, no chance
« on: August 21, 2008, 07:00:48 pm »

So, just for giggles, I decided to start a game embarking on the site the cursor started on with 7 dwarves with no skills and no supplies. Fortunately there are plants in the area and few deadly things so they can subsist on gathering and may have a shot at survival.

However, I was dumb and made some of the wagon wood into a beer barrel... which means that I can't produce a trade depot and thereby get any sort of tree chopping or ground digging tools. So... yeah... ideas?

Lidhuin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 7 dwarves, no supplies, no clue, no chance
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2008, 07:22:32 pm »

Assume: Survival until event

When a caravan arrives, get into the stocks screen and dump any axes that the merchant guards might be carrying.

If magma exists, build a magma glass furnace over it and try to get some glass blocks made (I assume this isn't possible).

Wait until you are assaulted and hope for axemen.

I think the most likely is to use the stocks bug and dump from the caravan guards though.

winner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2008, 07:26:52 pm »

or you know just Seise the goods
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 08:35:44 pm by winner »
The great game of Warlocks!

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2008, 08:11:37 pm »

Gather lots of plants, start farming, and hope a migrant woodcutter will show up.
*Digs tunnel under thread.*
I also answer to Gophers and DG.
Quote from: Shades of Gray
*Says something inspiring and quote worthy.*
Opinions are great, they're like onions with pi.

Lalandrathon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2008, 09:08:59 pm »

Well so far I have lots of turtles :P. No dice on the dumping of merchant items though. Guess I'll have to wait and piss off the elves.

Thendash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2008, 09:48:23 pm »

I have a fortress just like this too. I ran into some bad luck as well, the Dwarven caravan didn't bring anything useful except 3 logs. I'm doing ok though, I have one barrel and a still so I just keep filling up the barrel whenever it gets empty and there's good hunting around plus lots of plants so I'm all good for food and water I just have to wait a year for the Dwarven caravan to come back with my requested picks and axes.
As for your predicament, you'll probably just have to hope for woodcutter migrants or axe goblins.
Thendash's Livestream

This game could honestly give out hand jobs for free and people would still bitch.

Lalandrathon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2008, 10:57:47 pm »

So, iut turns out the dump trick works on non-dwarven merchants. So I ended up jacking some elf's wood so I could trade with them, which they did happily. However, when they left, they tried to take the wood i'd used to build the trade depot back with them, which deconstructed the thing scattering everything else across the ground so they couldn't pick it up. So basically I got everything in the caravan minus 1 wood.

So... that left my for on fairly solid footing, traded for an anvil and pick when the dwarves came around, and the fort was well underway making steel (the embark was half on a chalk mountain full of iron and coal, and half on a dense forest). But... it also turned out the map also had HFS, and never having experienced the fun part, I decided to mine it out, with predictable results. Though my suicidal sappers should have sealed off most of the fun if I decide to reclaim.

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2008, 03:23:50 pm »

or you know just Seise the goods

Without the Depot this is quite impossible to do.
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2008, 02:55:40 am »

never having experienced the fun part, I decided to mine it out, with predictable results.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)