Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: more sand during worldgen  (Read 980 times)

eastwind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
more sand during worldgen
« on: August 22, 2008, 01:42:45 am »

Does anyone have a clue what worldgen parameters I might tweak to get more biomes with sand? More drainage maybe?? I don't want a desert, I want trees and a chance for glassmaking.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
Re: more sand during worldgen
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2008, 02:15:56 am »

Hi!

Sorry, I haven't hunted for sand in world gen yet as I had no problems with its absence in a world.

Theoretically, increasing erosion cycles and having lots of rivers should help, I think, but I have not tested whether it makes a difference.

Otherwise, keep all variances at a minimum of 400 so that you have a great diversity of terrain. Sorry, but there is not much more information I have on this.

What size are the maps you are generating? The default values for variation are ridiculous for the small worlds, so that may be causing you trouble.

Deathworks

eastwind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2008, 02:35:35 am »

I posted the question after trying for quite a while, then, of course after posting I got one right away with the same parameters... Thanks for answering though..

Here's my recipe. The indentation was just my way of keeping track what I'd mucked with most recently. It gives me lots of locations with magma, trees, a fair amount of flux near the magma, mostly temperate climates, not too many aquifers, but you have to hunt for a location with sand.

I'd post my seed but from experimenting with other people's seeds I don't get the same world they show even on the same df version. I think it's because I'm running a 64-bit processor. Although the game runs in 32-bit mode, I'm guessing there's some extra precision in cpu-internal floating point math that makes for some small differences in the random numbers.

[WORLD_GEN]
   [TITLE:MINE]
   [DIM:257:257]
   [END_YEAR:1050]
   [BEAST_END_YEAR:2:50]
   [END_YEAR:1050]
   [REVEAL_ALL_HISTORY:1]
   [CULL_HISTORICAL_FIGURES:1]
   [ELEVATION:200:325:600:600]
      [RAINFALL:41:100:1600:1600]
      [TEMPERATURE:75:95:200:200]
      [DRAINAGE:41:100:400:400]
      [VOLCANISM:70:100:1600:1600]
   [SAVAGERY:40:66:1600:1600]
   [ELEVATION_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
   [RAIN_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
   [DRAINAGE_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
   [TEMPERATURE_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
   [SAVAGERY_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
        [VOLCANISM_FREQUENCY:1:2:3:4:5:6]
   [GOOD_SQ_COUNTS:400:4000:8000]
   [EVIL_SQ_COUNTS:100:1000:2000]
   [PEAK_NUMBER_MIN:0]
   [OCEAN_EDGE_MIN:0]
   [VOLCANO_MIN:200]
   [REGION_COUNTS:SWAMP:0:0:0]
   [REGION_COUNTS:DESERT:0:0:0]
   [REGION_COUNTS:FOREST:0:0:0]
   [REGION_COUNTS:MOUNTAINS:0:0:0]
   [REGION_COUNTS:OCEAN:0:0:0]
   [REGION_COUNTS:GLACIER:0:0:0]
   [REGION_COUNTS:TUNDRA:0:0:0]
   [REGION_COUNTS:GRASSLAND:0:0:0]
   [REGION_COUNTS:HILLS:0:0:0]
   [EROSION_CYCLE_COUNT:1]
   [RIVER_MINS:800:800]
   [PERIODICALLY_ERODE_EXTREMES:0]
   [OROGRAPHIC_PRECIPITATION:1]
   [SUBREGION_MAX:5000]
   [CAVE_MAX_SIZE:500]
   [MOUNTAIN_CAVE_MIN:800]
   [NON_MOUNTAIN_CAVE_MIN:100]
   [ALL_CAVES_VISIBLE:1]
[SHOW_EMBARK_RIVER:2]
[SHOW_EMBARK_POOL:2]
[SHOW_EMBARK_M_POOL:2]
[SHOW_EMBARK_M_PIPE:2]
[SHOW_EMBARK_CHASM:2]
[SHOW_EMBARK_PIT:2]
[SHOW_EMBARK_OTHER:2]
[SHOW_EMBARK_TUNNEL:2]
   [TOTAL_CIV_NUMBER:50]
   [TOTAL_CIV_NUMBER:100]
   [TOTAL_CIV_POPULATION:20000]
   [PLAYABLE_CIVILIZATION_REQUIRED:1]
   [ELEVATION_RANGES:0:0:0]
   [RAIN_RANGES:0:0:0]
   [DRAINAGE_RANGES:0:0:0]
   [SAVAGERY_RANGES:0:0:0]
   [VOLCANISM_RANGES:0:0:0]

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2008, 05:56:43 am »

sand will only occour in low-vulcanism areas.
so be sure to put a high weight on 0-20 vulcanism for sand. if you also put a high weight on 80-100, you will have even some spots with magma and sand close.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2008, 11:19:03 am »

so be sure to put a high weight on 0-20 vulcanism for sand. if you also put a high weight on 80-100, you will have even some spots with magma and sand close.

I don't know about that, I have a cold region with nothing but white sand under the grass and there's a lavapool directly below it. It's no pipe unfortunately but it'll suffice, I like drowning better anyway

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2008, 12:53:49 pm »

...no. Volcanism does not effect sand.

Sand Deserts appear in areas with 0-9 rain and 0-32 drainage. It's not that hard to make a massive desert world, but you won't have any elves because forests are on the opposite end of the rain/drainage values.

These parameters will give you much more desert areas than usual, while still keeping enough forests to sustain elves (though they still won't always appear):

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Keep in mind that due to my personal tastes, they have maximum volcanism, higher savage and evil areas than usual, and fewer good areas. If this is not desired, I can get a more normal-ish parameter set, regarding those.

This parameter set is similar, but with much more deserts and no elves.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

EDIT: stupid me, I didn't read your entire post. Erm... a lot of deserts have trees, I guess. Not a lot of trees, but enough to keep your dwarves in beds. Don't worry about fuel, there's an insane amount of magma with these parameters. Also, the deserts will often occur near
« Last Edit: August 22, 2008, 01:03:32 pm by Untelligent »
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Calenth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2008, 02:16:29 pm »

...no. Volcanism does not effect sand.

Sand Deserts appear in areas with 0-9 rain and 0-32 drainage. It's not that hard to make a massive desert world, but you won't have any elves because forests are on the opposite end of the rain/drainage values.

Sand can and often does appear in areas that aren't deserts. Right now the map I'm on has a "Tropical Dry Broadleaf Forest" that is growing in a sand layer. (To be fair, the map I'm on is also kinda bugged because I generated it after copying new versions over old DF directories; it has magma, admantine, joyous wilds, terrifying, a 42-level obsidian spike, a brook that cuts right through the mountain, etc. The save for it is here: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=450 )

The factors that seem to encourage sand are high temperature and high drainage. As to volcanism, I did set my map to emphasize 0-20 and 80-100 volcanism, but I'm not sure that's why I have sand like I do; volcanism does definitely impact stone type though -- high min volcanism and you'll have an all-gabbro world -- so it may impact soil as well, but I think the other soil types are all in that same 0-20 range as well anyway.