Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Draining the river.  (Read 903 times)

TheSpaceMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.digital-lifeform.com
Draining the river.
« on: August 21, 2008, 05:33:34 pm »

So i havent worked so much with water as i would want to, but guess my suprise when i pull the lever of my home made waterfall and i see the actual river slowly draining, from the edge of my screen towards the intake. This was a river. At the edge of the screen it fell too level 1, then it kind of sloped slowly uppwards untill it got back to 7. My dwarves could actualy build ramps on oposit sides and walk between the diffrent sides...

Didn't realise the game could do that. I was sure the drain refilled itself from each tile that was marked river.
Poking around with a DFParser.
Bodypart names, creatures names in one easily overviewable place.

Oh my new (old) picture?

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
Re: Draining the river.
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2008, 06:04:37 pm »

Nope, rivers only regenerate from the edge of the map. Only one edge, actually.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Slappy Moose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2008, 06:18:32 pm »

Which is fantastic because it makes draining a lake to create a dam somewhat possible.
Zaneg Thazor: Armok Reincarnate Story http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=19291.msg196691#msg196691

[Healthcare Update Thread] Personally, I can't wait for doctors to get possessed and start surgically attaching axes to champion soldier's arms.

Idiom

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_THOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2008, 06:27:04 pm »

Yea, it only refills from the upstream side.

Nathiuz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2008, 08:10:04 pm »

Now if only they would sweep away trash under a certain weight...

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2008, 09:03:34 pm »

Now if only they would sweep away trash under a certain weight...

Actually, they can, but because of the way Toady's fluid system works, it will only push things if the river isn't "full."

...which it usually is, unfortunately.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

CrazyEyes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2008, 12:55:31 am »

Unless there's something draining the tiles (like the runoff at the end of the map), they should be mostly 7/7.

I actually didn't know water could sweep away items.  But that would be useful as a trash disposal, yeah.  we need a way to get rid of all those rotten clothes. :\
I'm glad all the DF players are not living in one district. It'd be the most dangerous district for the whole world.
Actually, it'd be the most dangerous district in hundreds of thousands of worlds, starting with 'Xah Rabin' The Dimension of Omen. 

Styrre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2008, 11:41:27 am »

Will water sweep things off the map? If so, that would be a new exciting way of garbage disposal.
The path to my fixed purpose is laid with iron rails, whereon my soul is grooved to run. Over unsounded gorges, through the rifled hearts of mountains, under torrents' beds, unerringly I rush! Naught's an obstacle, naught's an angle to the iron way!

TheSpaceMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.digital-lifeform.com
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2008, 11:43:38 am »

if you do the draining "right" and actualy have to do refills of the place you dumpt stuff they should be pushed around a bit.
Poking around with a DFParser.
Bodypart names, creatures names in one easily overviewable place.

Oh my new (old) picture?