Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What the hell?  (Read 806 times)

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
What the hell?
« on: August 19, 2008, 09:52:02 pm »

I finally find a world in which one of the dwarven civs is at war with the elves. I find a nice region by a lake with a magma, so that I may dig a gigantic cavern beneath the lake and build a giant castle, also underneath the lake. As soon as I embark:

"A section of the cavern has collapsed!"

So I look around, and... well, it's much easier to show you than to explain it. (The video's slow, you might want to speed it up a little)

http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-787-thedementedbrook

Also note the completely random fire that started a few feet from my wagon when I embarked. Fortunately, some turtles, a hanful of meat, and all of my plump helmets were relatively unharmed after the fire, though I can't say the same for the wagon, my farmers, and a muskox.

The cavern underneath the brook looks pretty cool, though. Might use that as an entrance hall if the brook doesn't flood the world.

EDIT: World was flooding, aquifer was pissing me off, magma pipe was too far away to dig through over there. Going to look for a better, less weird area.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 10:18:40 pm by Untelligent »
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
Re: What the hell?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 10:14:24 pm »

Oh! Reminds me of this new fortress I started!

The brook apprently climbs up land!

As well as my mountains being the lowest point in my land. Hey how do I upload maps to that site?
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2008, 10:20:41 pm »

The brook wasn't climbing up land, it was just completely and utterly failing to realize the land happened to slope down.

Movies can be uploaded here.

Now I found a Good mountain bordering an Evil desert with two magma features in a very small area. This should be exciting.

EDIT: The river in the aforementioned area features zombie carp. Thirty four of them. Ought to make for some good laughs.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 10:27:50 pm by Untelligent »
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Skizelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 10:47:49 pm »

So... the bug forum, or suggestions?
That is brilliant though; just this tube of water for no reason, flooding the valley. Your dwarfs would have never gone thirsty.

Axe27

• Bay Watcher
  • Put down the crossbow
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2008, 12:07:31 am »

The brook wasn't climbing up land, it was just completely and utterly failing to realize the land happened to slope down.

Movies can be uploaded here.

Now I found a Good mountain bordering an Evil desert with two magma features in a very small area. This should be exciting.

Wow, lucky you. Vertical bars will do just fine for you. Gah...

EDIT: The river in the aforementioned area features zombie carp. Thirty four of them. Ought to make for some good laughs.
And thus did the dream of dwarven antigravity fade away, not with a massive explosion or a flood of magma, but with a whimper.

I'm going to be depressed all day now.