Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Need some expensive roads  (Read 2959 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Need some expensive roads
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2008, 05:29:16 pm »

http://mkv25.net/dfma/poi-640-entranceroad

Dude...  That is just pointlessly huge.  I never got a chance to do something like that.

There just aren't enough truly epic forts in the 3D version...

John Johnston

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrescuable aspie.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2008, 01:18:31 pm »

Ah.  I seem to have stumbled upon a ludicrously easy way of doing this.

You don't need a grand road made out of dragon soap or platinum blocks.
You just need one tiny rock bridge, and a handful of very valuable mechanisms.

Build a lever out of valuable mechanisms, connect the lever to the bridge using valuable mechanisms, and bingo... road value in spades.

I noticed it when I constructed a bridge as part of an experimental rubbish dumper device.  The bridge was connected to the trade depot, but only by stairs, certainly not by a three tile wide road, so it doesn't seem as if the bridge needs to be built anywhere in particular.  I connected the bridge to an artifact lever and used masterpiece mechanisms.
I noticed that my road value had shot up, so I built another tiny bridge to test, and again connected it to the artifact lever using even more valuable masterpiece mechanisms (encrusted with various gems, which everyone should have plenty of.)
Building the second bridge caused the road value to jump by nearly 10,000 dwarfbucks.  ^^

This seems a bit.. ah... unintended.  :)  I'm quite peeved as I very definitely do not want the King and his Royal Guards - once they turn up I'll be forced to kill them somehow as the "criminal" list encompasses nearly every adult dwarf; noone has been punished for not making a trifle pewter toothpick for thirty years.  :(   ;D

(edit - or possibly not have to kill them, it depends whether Royal Guards do Dwarven Justice or not.  Fingers crossed!)

(edit again - tried with another small bridge connected to a non-artifact lever.  Lever value : 4530 dwarfbucks, mechanism value: 4110 in road, 7890 at lever; total road gain: 16440.  These don't add up so not sure what is going on, regardless, it's silly money.)

Would someone else mind trying this out to test it?  It may even be bugged somehow as the value gain seems disproportionate to the value invested.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 01:38:15 pm by John Johnston »
Oh
God it's been a lovely day
Everything's been going my way
I had so much fun today
And I'm on fire

Vaftrudner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2008, 02:56:29 pm »

I don't know about those mechanisms, but I'm currently trying to get myself a king, and I built my road mostly out of marble, but with parts of silver and edges of gold and clear glass. I got up to 7500 fairly easy (in about three months). Of course, it helps that I have magma and sand for the glass, but I nearly exhausted all my gold. Although to me, it's worth it to build the road out of silver and gold since I want to get as far as I can with my fortress, and I don't like gamey alternatives ;)

John Johnston

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrescuable aspie.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2008, 04:52:11 pm »

Well... I 'spose I could have used a platinum block instead of a phyllite one?   ;D
Oh
I had so much fun today
And I'm on fire

Vaftrudner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2008, 06:38:21 pm »

I once built a platinum bridge over a river on the other side of the map, just to watch the poor li'l architect struggle, struggle and struggle with his platinum chunk. Ever so slowly, with aching arms.. :)

Wirrit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2008, 07:27:00 pm »

I never have much trouble getting up to that road value.

But, then again, I also get very peevish that merchants keep getting stuck behind trees at the very edge of the map, so I make a square 3-wide road encircling the -entire- map border, with various routes to my trade depot.

Quantity is a lovely thing, neh?

John Johnston

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrescuable aspie.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2008, 07:41:13 pm »

Quantity is a lovely thing, neh?

"It has a quality all of its own". 
Oh
I had so much fun today
And I'm on fire

Eita

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2008, 07:52:39 pm »

You should do what I do. Make it so that there's only possible entrance to the map.

Kazindir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2008, 06:25:45 am »

Make yourself a nice wide road (7 tiles or so is a good start) from your gates to the edge of the map. Then start paving (with roads, not "floor") the main corridors inside your fortress as well -eg the stockpile->trade depot, outside the main dining rooms etc.

t'll have the added bonus of having more wonderful roads for dwarves to stop and admire and go "ooo, a road!"  at. :)

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2008, 07:00:20 am »

Slightly related: anyone know what the requirements for a duke are?
Magma is overrated.

John Johnston

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrescuable aspie.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2008, 07:03:46 am »

I believe it's 140 dorfs, not sure about the rest.  The bit in the init where it says "you need at least 100 dwarfs to obtain current game features" may be a little misleading.
Oh
I had so much fun today
And I'm on fire

Hamster Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2008, 11:12:28 am »

"King cancels Grand Entrance: sliding down road"
So there's that, as well. It looks like the only chronic problems that water can't cure are nausea and cave spider bites.
Which, coincidentally enough, can be cured by magma.
Pages: 1 [2]