Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Starting Points  (Read 971 times)

Jordan~

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Starting Points
« on: August 18, 2008, 12:12:09 pm »

So, I'm playing about with playing Elf Retreat, Human Town, Goblin Tower and Kobold Caves (i.e., DF played with the other entities). I've made a few modifications, especially to the elves and kobolds, to make them more playable; but it seems that everyone but the dwarves has only 200 points when they start. I've read that this is because of the metal_pref that only dwarves have, so I added it to the others to no avail. How do you go about modding the amount of starting points?

While I'm at it, I might as well ask where minerals are listed in the game files. Do you need to unpack anything?

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
Re: Starting Points
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2008, 04:28:32 pm »

Everyone starts with 200 points, even dwarves. It's just that the free items you get aren't taken from your points, so by "selling" your free anvil, you can get much more points than a race without an anvil.

I'm going to look for some important-looking tags that might help you start with anvils and battleaxes and such right now. Also, the minerals are in the raw/objects/matgloss_stone_mineral.txt file. No unpacking is needed.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2008, 04:46:10 pm »

All of these go in the raw/objects/entity_default.txt file. There's a lot you can do here that can effect what you can bring, but I'll just focus on the tags that give you free crap.

Also, it's possible that EVERY race gets a free anvil, but I'm not sure.

[DIGGER:ITEM_WEAPON_PICK] allows your race to start with 2 free picks of the lowest value metal, generally copper.

[WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_AXE_BATTLE] allows your race to start with 2 battleaxes of the highest value metal available (actually, the metal depends on several tags), generally steel; you need this or another usable weapon if you want to be able to kill trees. Other WEAPON and ARMOR tags are useful, as they allow you to purchase additional equipment at embark, and later allow you to forge them, but you don't get them for free.

[METAL_PREF] will cause your weapons and armor (including your free battleaxes) available on embark to be made of the highest metal available, and thus giving you more points, should you decide to sell an axe. If you do not have this tag, you'll get iron battleaxes (and other weapons and such available on embark will be cheaper to buy). It may have an effect on individual dwarves' preferences.

[MINOR_METAL] will cause your available weapons and such on embark to be made of copper, so axes will give you less points should you sell them, but other equipment will be cheaper to buy.

[USE_ANIMAL_PRODUCTS] and [INDOOR_FARMING] may affect the free food you get. If you have [OUTDOOR_FARMING], you may still get free food, but I haven't tested that.

Hope these help.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Jordan~

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 01:10:41 pm »

Well, I'd already added the pick tag and metal pref tag, and removed the minor metal tag - and still didn't start with picks. I added all the tags you suggested, though, and now they're getting all the free goodies - thanks! Now my dreams of kobold supremacy can become a reality.