Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mining Tips?  (Read 1990 times)

magikarcher

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Poster
    • View Profile
Mining Tips?
« on: August 15, 2008, 04:16:02 pm »

I usually rely on the pre-exposed gold, iron, copper, etc. that is on the surface of the level. Is this foolish? Can I find just as much if not more INSIDE of the mountain? I just don't want to have my miners working on digging out something that might not be necessary.

Thanks.

Impaler[WrG]

• Bay Watcher
  • Khazad Project Leader
    • View Profile
Re: Mining Tips?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2008, 05:03:28 pm »

The surface veins are useful when their nearby, but I generally hit one or more good veins of metal when mining out the Fort before I'm even ready to bring the smelting and forging production chain online.  I'll typically leave these veins in place until I have a Master or higher level miner and these internal veins are more then sufficient, if they run out some exploratory tunnels radiating out from the fort will usually hit something thats closer then the surface deposits.  I DO get a lot of my gems from the exposed rock face as the distance factor is much less important when dealing with high value gems.
Khazad the Isometric Fortress Engine
Extract forts from DF, load and save them to file and view them in full 3D

Khazad Home Thread
Khazad v0.0.5 Download

magikarcher

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2008, 05:05:23 pm »

Thanks, does higher miner levels increase ore output or just mining speed?

Golgath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2008, 05:06:52 pm »

If you've got the advantage of exposed veins, feel free to exploit them, though you may want to wait until you have highly skilled miners so you don't miss out on any ore.  You'll find a good bit of veins and such underground as well, though this requires exploratory tunnels, and it can be a bit discouraging if you have bad luck with your latest tunneling session.

It does both, and once you reach a high enough skill level, you'll get virtually every scrap of ore that is to be had.  Of course, it's the same with useless stone, but not much you can do about that..
I fully endorse the idea of mountain goats that hunt man.

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2008, 05:11:23 pm »

If you're looking for deposits underground, this article might be helpful

http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Exploratory_mining

magikarcher

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2008, 05:21:03 pm »

If you're looking for deposits underground, this article might be helpful

http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Exploratory_mining

Actually I had read that article, I was just wondering if there were frequent deposits of ore underground. On a side note, one of the techniques in that article I did on my own the day after I learned how to build stairs!

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2008, 05:34:02 pm »

It depends on the layer you are in.

Sedementary layers are rich in iron ores, for example.  It's worth digging for ores since often you will have different layers with different types of ores buried below.

Here's an (admittedly cryptic) reference for what ores appear where:

http://idisk.mac.com/fire_drake-Public/DF_StoneOre_Table.htm

V means it appears in veins, C means clusters

magikarcher

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2008, 05:44:21 pm »

I have them memorized for the most part, but that is helpful nonetheless. Thanks!

Tanelorn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2008, 12:42:04 am »

Higher miner levels both increase mining speed (a legendary miner will cut through rock like it was butter, but a dabbling one will spend a season digging a room) and the stone/ore output: where a dabbling miner would only give 1 stone/ore every 3 mined tiles (yield 33%), a very good miner will gove a stone/ore for every mined tile (yield 100%).

Don't quote me on the yield for dabbling miners, I am not sure it is accurate. It's a pretty good estimation though.

Doppel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2008, 11:45:30 am »

Both, and i would highly suggest to first train miners into legendary by for example digging in loam before you start mining out valuable ores and gems and stones
Doppel has been ecstatic lately. He took joy in playing DF lately. He slept on a rough cave keyboard recently.
He is a member of the Dwarf Fortress Forums.
Doppel likes the color Dark Blue, cats for their aloofness and girls for their silky soft brea beards.
He appreciates art and natural beauty.

Dogman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2008, 02:50:27 pm »

Unskilled miners are great for digging out storerooms or housing complexes if you've got OCD and hate loose stone laying around the place.

dfshortbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2008, 03:38:55 pm »

Is there a way to have a certain miner dig out a certain area? Do you have to turn mining off for everyone else and remove all other mining designations until your legendary miner digs out what you want? That would seem like a pain.

John Johnston

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrescuable aspie.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2008, 04:55:28 pm »

dfs - you could temporarily draft all your other miners and tell them to patrol until the digging is done - still a pain, but less of a pain than having them drop their picks all over the shop.  :)
Oh
God it's been a lovely day
Everything's been going my way
I had so much fun today
And I'm on fire