Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Drow Fortress now released, enjoy!  (Read 6023 times)

Teldin

• Bay Watcher
  • Canadian Bacon
    • View Profile
Drow Fortress now released, enjoy!
« on: August 15, 2008, 09:18:04 am »

I've been working on this one a few days now. It is a moderately full conversion for 39f, and the entire game is packaged together so if you use graphics packs, you will have to add it yourself. I also used the typical .ini files I use for my own games, so I am sure you will want to tinker with those as well. Note: If you use graphics packs, your drow may look weird, since they use the dwarf tiles.

World_gen.txt can be safely toyed with if you want as well; I suggest large-sized games so you get a good variety of civs genned. World gen on medium and large size worlds are capped at year 200, as I find that a good balance at the moment between wars/megabeasts.

Note: This is a preliminary release, so if there are errors or bugs in it, I will add new versions to this post. Everything seems to have been working for me so far but I haven't had an in-depth fortress game yet so there still may be problems.

When genning a world, it can be tough to get a good one where you have all species still existing: the drow and duergar just LOVE to get into wars with all the surface creatures (except goblins). Expect enormous, devastating battles in your legends viewer.

And, if you have any ideas or comments, feel free to mention them here! Input is always a great thing.

Note #2: You might recognize some of these from an ancient mod, Teldinmod. That's because I swiped some from there rather than make them from scratch. God, I'm lazy.

Installation instructions: download, unzip somewhere. Voila! The entire game (currently 39f!) is kept in this zip file so that's all you need to do. It is a 6mb file.

http://teldin.wikispaces.com/space/showimage/Drow+Fortress.zip

The drow, if you have not heard of them before, are evil, black-skinned, white-haired elves from the Forgotten Realms series, in particular from the Underdark, a series of caves and tunnels under the ground. They're selfish, paranoid, untrustworthy, and would happily murder anyone they came across for a bit of societal advancement.

As our story goes, the drow have been making surface outposts in order to begin a conquest of the above-ground realms. The humans, elves, and dwarves, of course, are having none of that and will immediately begin sending spies and scouts in as preliminary invasion tactics. There are other scattered drow outposts who will send caravans and liasons to keep in touch with the home city, and the drow have allies in the duergar (dark dwarves) and the established goblin fortresses. There are also kobolds around but nobody cares much about them.

The drow have a variety of cave-related items at their disposal, as well as their own unique creatures they've brought with them from the Underdark. They do not use the standard surface creatures as pets: rather, they prefer spiders, cave lizards, and their version of subterranean cow, the deep rothe.

In addition, the drow bring with them to the surface a number of useful technologies, such as the ability to harvest petrified wood and convert it directly into lumber, and new and exciting weaponry they've been using in the Underdark for centuries, such as the bladed crossbow and the hand crossbow.

Details:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Some fun teaser screenshots:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2008, 09:59:37 am by Teldin »

Golgath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Drow Fortress now released, enjoy!
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2008, 04:47:41 pm »

I'm curious, how exactly did you add the other animals to be used as domestics?  It's simple enough to remove normal animals, but I don't know how I would add my own.
I fully endorse the idea of mountain goats that hunt man.

the_taken

• Bay Watcher
  • Oooooooh... shiny...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2008, 04:57:06 pm »

Can I have my drow fight with two swords?
Totally Unrelated, Shameless Self Promotion: Battles of the Star Angels and Space Devils

Teldin

• Bay Watcher
  • Canadian Bacon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2008, 06:07:52 pm »

I'm curious, how exactly did you add the other animals to be used as domestics?  It's simple enough to remove normal animals, but I don't know how I would add my own.

It's fairly easy; I simply added three tags to the creatures I wanted to add: COMMON_DOMESTIC, PET, and EVIL. Then I set all the standard ones GOOD, and in the entity tokens I made the good races USE_GOOD_ANIMALS and the evil races USE_EVIL_ANIMALS. This makes it so you can split up the domestics without losing any in the process; humans still use dogs and cows and such and duergar, drow, and goblins get the fancy ones like rockspiders and cave lizards.

And your drow can carry two swords like dwarves if you set them to wield 2 weapons, yes.  ;)

Golgath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2008, 12:18:10 am »

It's fairly easy; I simply added three tags to the creatures I wanted to add: COMMON_DOMESTIC, PET, and EVIL. Then I set all the standard ones GOOD, and in the entity tokens I made the good races USE_GOOD_ANIMALS and the evil races USE_EVIL_ANIMALS. This makes it so you can split up the domestics without losing any in the process; humans still use dogs and cows and such and duergar, drow, and goblins get the fancy ones like rockspiders and cave lizards.

That's handy, thanks for the info.
I fully endorse the idea of mountain goats that hunt man.

magikarcher

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2008, 03:38:17 pm »

About how long did all this take you?

Teldin

• Bay Watcher
  • Canadian Bacon
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2008, 04:36:26 pm »

About 1-2 days of tinkering with it on and off. I've modded a lot of stuff before and I harvested some of it from an earlier mod I made, though, so it went faster than if I did it all from scratch and had to test it beforehand. It's pretty easy once you get the hang of it.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2008, 08:38:18 am »

Hi!

Nice idea.

I haven't come around to play it yet (spent some time world genning, though), but I noticed something I wanted to address.

Judging from the display in world gen, Drows live in Mountain Halls. Personally, I think calling their settlements Underground cities, for instance, would be somewhat more in the spirit. So, I was wondering whether this could be changed by modifying the raws, or whether the mountain halls are a given for the fortress race.

Deathworks

Teldin

• Bay Watcher
  • Canadian Bacon
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2008, 04:14:13 pm »

Unfortunately, those are largely hardcoded; there are 4 varieties of locations: mountain halls, dark fortresses, cities, caves, and tree cities. You can change which species uses each one and which they start in, but you can't change their name, their appearance in adventurer mode, etc. I figured mountain halls were the best fit for drow.