Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dark Dwarfs  (Read 1154 times)

HoffaSaurusX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dark Dwarfs
« on: September 08, 2008, 10:32:15 am »

Has anyone else noticed on the world generation screen that some of those goblin fortresses are not goblins but rather Dark Dwarven Fortresses. Does anyone have any experience with them?

There wasn't a wiki article so http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Dark_dwarfs

Feel free to update it with your own knowledge.

I'm thinking people with more experience in Adventure mode might have come across them.

Do they trade? Do they siege?

I set up a fortress near a group of their fortresses, but wasn't bothered by them, even past year 2. Unfortunately the save file got mucked up and I had to re install, loosing the world that had them in. I'm currently trying to make another world with them in.

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Dwarfs
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2008, 10:35:17 am »

Dark is an adjective. So you'll end up with Dark Human Fortresses as well if you mod your game. It's just that goblins share biomes only with the dwarves.
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

HoffaSaurusX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2008, 10:40:58 am »

No Mods, Got one on my latest world

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2008, 10:42:13 am »

Rare happenstance then. I guess they decided to keep one of the fortresses they took then :P
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

Hoborobo234

• Bay Watcher
  • For the revolution!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2008, 11:43:18 am »

They may have chosen to worship the Demon who resides there. I had tat once, I think, well the Demon did not seem to attack the Humans but there was a Temple to their God as well. I think I have seen on another thread that sometimes the Humans will start to worship the Demons if they kill enough children or something.

Rather than having them directly force you to mine adamantine, I would suggest that they give you strange moods that require adamantine. "Dig out the adamantine or Urist here goes insane and dies" is suitably vicious.

(It occurs to me that you can probably get "Lovecraft" as the random name of your fortress. That's when you know you're screwed.)

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2008, 02:29:58 pm »

Hi!

As people have said, that is just a normal dwarven settlement gained via conquest.

Dwarves will happily conquer dark fortresses and forest retreats (even chains of them bringing them quite far from any mountains).

Humans will conquer forest retreats.

Neither goblins nor elves seem to conquer any foreign type settlements.

Since I am experimenting with worlds with many civs, one of my main problems is "hidden goblin extinction" - I see a lot of thriving dark fortresses in the world, but actually, they are all dwarven homes due to conquest (because goblins do not conquer dwarven halls, dwarves have better chances of getting out on top in their conflicts). The elven and human situation is similar to that, but since elves are forest and humans are not forest, you can directly influence the odds by manipulating the number of initial forests (human, dwarven, and goblin settlements will raze the forests around them, while elves will restore them).

Deathworks

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2008, 02:41:27 pm »

Hm.. are there tags in the raws that can be changed so that all races will occupy conquered settlements?

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2008, 03:44:39 pm »

Hm.. are there tags in the raws that can be changed so that all races will occupy conquered settlements?

I tend to change all the entity raws to live in [CITY]

Then only human type cities will be built by all civs, and they will all conquer each other's cities as well.

Make sure you edit their preferred biomes list as well for massive genocidal wars.