Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Regarding Fire Imps (and other nasty fire-spewing critters).  (Read 1163 times)

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
Regarding Fire Imps (and other nasty fire-spewing critters).
« on: August 15, 2008, 09:32:07 pm »

Many times, I have heard the rumor that, although deadly at a distance, Fire Imps are quite weak in melee combat because they cannot use their fireball attack at close range.

While this is technically true, I recently found out the hard way that Fire Imps can still use their fire breath attack at close range, shortly before I lost a farmer who thought it would be a good idea to butcher a suspiciously crispy-looking deer carcass.

So please stop spreading the rumor that fire imps are wimps in melee combat. They can still use ONE of their fire attacks.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

magikarcher

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Regarding Fire Imps (and other nasty fire-spewing critters).
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2008, 01:47:20 am »

You just attacked the wrong one  :P. Lol, I avoid them at all costs.

dabbling noob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2008, 03:30:35 am »

lol wooden cage traps + channel around volcano ftw!

MuonDecay

• Bay Watcher
  • Say hello to my little μ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2008, 05:45:40 am »

Well they're still dangerous in close combat, but untrained wrestler vs. fire imp tends to award victory to untrained wrestler.

The trick isn't getting in close per se, it's getting in close and finishing them off before they incinerate the dwarf, which once they're locked in wrestling combat seems easily done without much fuss.

Draft someone disposable and send them imp wrestlin'

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2008, 07:14:01 am »

Also the close range fire attack can be blocked with a shield, while the long range one can't. This makes them one of the few creatures that can reliably hurt legendary +5 shield users (only other one I can think of offhand is spirit of fire).

Side note, dragonfire can be blocked too just like the imp's fire breath which is part of the reason they are such pushovers.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Khain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2008, 08:32:41 am »

One of my recruits killed an imp with his bare hands after it decided that it would be a good idea to pop up through my magma smelter.

Unfortunetly his fists didnt prove to be quite as effective against the fire man that came through the following season
Khain is a dubious worshipper of Stozu Oxtrararstruck Baxstutspen

Dadamh

• Bay Watcher
  • !!world!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2008, 10:07:22 am »

I thought people mostly blocked off the smelter lava passages with grates and iron bars.

I don't usually have imp problems.

Doppel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2008, 11:16:53 am »

Mostly a peasant skilled in nothing does the trick, just make sure the peasant can quicly throw him/herself onto the fire imp (and turn of "chase enemy", because they are more likely to do from jumping after the imp into the lava then from the imp itself).
Doppel has been ecstatic lately. He took joy in playing DF lately. He slept on a rough cave keyboard recently.
He is a member of the Dwarf Fortress Forums.
Doppel likes the color Dark Blue, cats for their aloofness and girls for their silky soft brea beards.
He appreciates art and natural beauty.