Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: history export  (Read 871 times)

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
history export
« on: August 16, 2008, 02:50:36 pm »

ok i put it in general becouse it is a question/suposition/mod,utility idee in one
so is there a way to put legend's information in an easyer to read format. i mean ok we can now find things but if i read about a town destructed by Ido the giant then i migth want to see the page of this gient.
So if have we alredy a way to take all people from legend and to txt? and if yes is there an utility or do people want one to put these legend texts to a easy to read html(or wathever) format?
so this thread is opened for discussion/idee exchange/ propositions about an easy to read history export
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: history export
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2008, 03:09:16 pm »

Currently there isn't a way to export the legends information. It's been requested before, even to just a straight text file, but Toady hasn't gotten around to it. When he first expanded the legends stuff he thought about it, but decided against it due to the very large space requirements for the legends info.

Personally, I'd love it if we had the option. We could easily write parsers to convert it all to HTML or what not, and if it was an optional dump it wouldn't be a burden on people with space considerations.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

MastaODisasta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2008, 03:49:15 pm »

What I'd like to see is the legends be more connected, like a wiki format in a way.  Like you said, if I'm reading about a battle I should be able to easily go to the general's page and to the different combatant's pages.
This is a signature.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2008, 10:25:22 pm »

Actually there is an utility which compiles 3 default files (hist. figs, places, events) into a new file which shows info about each type of race, about each entity, some usefule final results (like a number of remained civs of which race and with the list of existing/razed cities), total cave populations in a useful manner etc.

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=20780.0
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=311
« Last Edit: August 16, 2008, 10:27:22 pm by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2008, 10:56:01 pm »

Sadly, I don't have access to most of the legends information yet, so my log parser is doing about as much as it can in that regard. It's useful, but it can't give you the specifics of a battle or tell you tell you what happened to a site. It can only say what the current state of each site is and who owns what.

I'm looking forward to Toady adding in some of the hyper-tag functionality. I know when this subject came up last he said he'd like to do that. Here's the last topic on it: http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=5928.0
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One