Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cavemen!  (Read 1545 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Cavemen!
« on: August 13, 2008, 09:40:56 pm »

Just genned a world that had a human controlled cave, with humans living in it:

111: Thaoxuosaluiceeshië, "Tuftcave", a cave
   Owner: The Silky Group, humans
   Parent Civ: The Constructive Kingdom, humans
   Leader: Artha Staticclimax, human
   37 humans

Just thought it was amusing enough to share.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

hexrei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cavemen!
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2008, 10:22:37 pm »

I thought this was gonna be about troglodytes which I just encountered for hte first time.

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2008, 11:11:21 pm »

I thought this was gonna be about troglodytes which I just encountered for hte first time.

I personally imagine troglodytes as cave chimps. Mostly cuz the scientific name for chimpanzee is Pan troglodytes.
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

hexrei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2008, 11:33:45 pm »

huh, never knew that, interesting fact. troglodyte in classical usage i think just basically means cave-dweller

Haven

• Bay Watcher
  • Studiously Avoidant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2008, 12:41:20 am »

Well, I imagine them in the D&D sense, as reeking lizard cavedwellers are fun.

or...

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2008, 12:57:51 am »

Just genned a world that had a human controlled cave, with humans living in it:

111: Thaoxuosaluiceeshië, "Tuftcave", a cave
   Owner: The Silky Group, humans
   Parent Civ: The Constructive Kingdom, humans
   Leader: Artha Staticclimax, human
   37 humans

Just thought it was amusing enough to share.

Very interesting - did they conquer it from kobolds or something?

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2008, 05:09:56 am »

huh, never knew that, interesting fact. troglodyte in classical usage i think just basically means cave-dweller

Also means something with weird proportions, like many cave creatures. Thus the use on chimps. I've seen games (Exile/Avernum series) where troglodytes are disfigured-looking humanoids and thats my usual interpretation of them. I don't like the DnD version myself, it seems too contrived to me.

After looking at the raws i've reached a new conclusion about DF troglodytes. They're like small wizened cave ogres. Simple as that. No tails so they can't be the DnD version. They have [SLOW_LEARNER] and [EQUIPS] along with [CANOPENDOORS] and [LARGEPREDATOR] but no [liKES_FIGHTING]. Their [NATURAL] tag throws me off a little though, that means that they're animals as opposed to semi-sapient humanoids.

I guess slightly more advanced, and aggressive cave chimps then. They're [DIURNAL] which helps the primate interpretation.
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

hexrei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2008, 06:25:50 am »

Well, I'm not trying to start an argument here but that's not really an accepted definition of the word. Chimps have that classification  becuase they were named a German scientist in the late 1700's who thought they resembled an ancient African tribe of people recognized by the greeks: the name troglodyte literally means " one who lives in a hole" in greek.

Brendan

• Bay Watcher
  • fa/tg/uy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2008, 08:36:33 am »

In usual usage, troglodyte tends to be a pejorative term for someone who is uncultured and uncivilized; like 'Philistine' or 'barbarian'. In the fantasy game context, though, I tend to imagine them as disfigured humanoids, since Exile III is where I first encountered monsters named that.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2008, 10:06:13 am »

That's why we need description tags in the raws, so we can have some clue as to what the heck a lot of these things look like in DF. Anyone know if any of Threetoes stories have Troglodytes in them?

Oh, and as to how it happened, I have Jawas in my mod as another item thief race. Except, unlike Kobolds, they can talk. Which means they're more visible to the rest of the world, probably because they can be tortured for the location of their cave home. In any case, yeah, the humans stomped on the Jawas and took over the site. Started building hovels in it and everything. I need to send an adventurer in there to go find it, just to see what it looks like.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Quiller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2008, 06:42:10 pm »

OK, this is really weird.  The guy who makes the Exile/Avernum games was my college roommate.  It is bizarre to think that his game has influenced what two different people on this forum think of when they visualize a fantasy monster.

Skizelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2008, 07:03:07 pm »

Did you visit the cave? I'd like to know if humans would build in there too.