Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: German Games?  (Read 1239 times)

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
German Games?
« on: August 14, 2008, 10:36:28 am »

I'm moving to Switzerland in less than a week and I want to get in as much last-minute practice in German as I can before I leave.  I just played through the demo of Edna Bricht Aus, which was amazing, and I want to find more games like that in German if I can.  (I wish I could play the full version of Edna but it's expensive and I don't have time to have a game shipped to me.)  I have played the German version of Darklands for a while, which is great for learning the names of medieval weapons and monsters, but pretty useless for learning anything conversational.

Anyone know of any other German-language games which are free (or at least have a demo) and would give me some practice in modern conversational stuff?  Adventure games like Edna would be perfect, or RPGs - something where I'll have time to read/listen and think before I have to do anything.

myd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: German Games?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2008, 10:48:08 am »

Maybe you will like Zack Mc Kracken 2 - a fan created sequel to the old Lukas Arts adventure with very high production values. And only available in german for now. http://www.zak2.org/

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2008, 12:13:14 pm »

Wow, this looks awesome!  Thanks.  I'm downloading it now.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2008, 12:40:35 pm »

You could play the original german version of Gothic.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2008, 01:14:45 pm »

Well, there's Wiggles (English name was Diggles, so as to avoid spontaneous laughter).  It's not free, but the demo is.  And chances are you can get quite a bit of mileage out of the demo.

It's quite a bit like Dwarf Fortress in some respects, and not just because you control a clan of dwarves.  Ah, I still remember those days of hamster-farming and grub soup...

A word of advice though.  Starvation is a very real concern, and if you run out of food you will have an exceptionally nasty spiral of dwarves getting hungry and dwarves refusing to cook because they're unhappy about being hungry.

I avoid this by being ridiculous about food production.  Every time a new source of food shows up (normally a patch of giant mushrooms in a small cave), I will immediately set up a campfire in that location and set it to repeat orders of "grilled mushroom cap" for eternity.

Sure, there's a chance your entire fort will get covered in a carpet of food after a while, but at least no one will starve.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2008, 02:48:57 pm »

Thanks for the suggestions, guys!

I'm having a problem with Zak 2: the videos won't play.  When there is a cutscene of any sort (including the intro) I just get a black screen while the sound plays.  The game seems to run okay, but no cutscenes.  Any ideas?  I'm fairly certain I meet the system specs for the game...  I'm not sure how important the cutscenes will be to the gameplay.

myd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2008, 03:52:31 pm »

I think the videos require the xvid codec, so maybe installing/reinstalling that might help.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2008, 04:18:59 pm »

Aha!  Xvid did it.  Thanks!

Aribar Hunter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile