Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Finding flux  (Read 1377 times)

Arphahat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Finding flux
« on: August 31, 2008, 09:57:16 am »

I've been playing for awhile now and am finally getting to the point where I can focus on other things aside from immediate fortress survival.  I've made some glass objects, and played with pumps, and am experimenting with metal.  I have a source of iron, but I cannot seem to find flux. 

How are the sedimentary layers arranged?  Is there a way to determine which areas are the best to search for them?  Most of my fortress is in flint.  Any help finding this stuff (if it is even on my map) would be appreciated.

Exponent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Finding flux
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2008, 10:37:47 am »

How deep have you dug?  If you've already gone through your sedimentary layers in most areas of the map, and there wasn't any flux, then your only hope is marble, which is generally a bit deeper.  And if there is no marble, then you have no flux (which is actually painfully common if you don't look for it when embarking).  If you remember that the layers listed when embarking didn't include any flux, then that would confirm that you have none, since any and all flux shows up in the layer list during embark.

Overdose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2008, 10:41:18 am »

If necessary, you can always import flux from caravans, which isn't exactly the endless supply you get with flux sites, but can still work towards getting that nice steel equipment.

Doppel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2008, 03:20:53 pm »

About importing flux, i changed my embarking civ to one where flux is found in abundance. (marble and limestone) The other dwarven cities didn't have any flux when i looked at the surroundings on the embark screen there. My question now is, will i now be able to import lots of flux?
Doppel has been ecstatic lately. He took joy in playing DF lately. He slept on a rough cave keyboard recently.
He is a member of the Dwarf Fortress Forums.
Doppel likes the color Dark Blue, cats for their aloofness and girls for their silky soft brea beards.
He appreciates art and natural beauty.

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2008, 05:07:31 am »

If necessary, you can always import flux from caravans, which isn't exactly the endless supply you get with flux sites, but can still work towards getting that nice steel equipment.

Not always. The stones you can get still is dependant on your dwarven civ. In my current game, sadly there is not a single flux stone that I can select during trade negotiations with my town liaison, meaning that steel is always in short supply and dependant on the few steel bars that I can import and on bought or looted steel armor that I can melt

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2008, 08:50:54 am »

If you strike adamantine early, the king will come and you will no longer be able to ask for anything from the dwarves, and the humans don't have stone. I had to use adamantine to grate off my magma forge area. Ugh. So if the possibility exists for that, you want to really pay top dollar and get as much as you can before something like that happens.
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar

Doppel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2008, 11:16:55 am »

What in the? I said earlier that i specified a dwarven civ mountainhome wich had flux in abundance in the area it was located in, namely (i think it was) dolomite AND marble. (phew, grammar butchering)
Now it turns out the merchants DON'T HAVE ANY FLUX AT ALL!!! Why? Is it coz i is black?
Doppel has been ecstatic lately. He took joy in playing DF lately. He slept on a rough cave keyboard recently.
He is a member of the Dwarf Fortress Forums.
Doppel likes the color Dark Blue, cats for their aloofness and girls for their silky soft brea beards.
He appreciates art and natural beauty.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2008, 01:18:04 pm »

Is it coz i is black?

eet ees coz yur inglish sux
WE NEED A SLOGAN!