Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [39f] World gen not making tropical (and maybe arctic) biomes?  (Read 983 times)

BahamutZERO

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This may have been happening before 39f, this is the first release I've played since mid-spring. I've generated a large number of worlds in 39f (searching for that perfect site) and I've noticed a distinct lack of tropical and arctic biomes. The worlds were all generated with the default "Create New World" option, not through the "Create World With Parameters" option. I remember that worlds used to almost always have a significant tropical band at the top or bottom and an arctic band at the other end, but the most I have seen as of 39f is hot temperate biomes on the hot side, never tropical. While I have seen a few small arctic areas, they also seem greatly reduced in size and frequency. There used to also be tropical and arctic oceans fairly often, but now it's just temperate oceans.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [39f] World gen not making tropical (and maybe arctic) biomes?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2008, 02:22:38 pm »

Arctic biomes have a 0 minimum number of tiles, so if you want those you'll need to change it (figure 1500 tiles per region, and 1 region minimum (initial and final) unless you want more).

Tropics are a bit harder, there's someone who's trying to make a jungle world and hasn't gotten ANY jungle regions.

BahamutZERO

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2008, 02:29:06 pm »

I'm not actually looking for an arctic or tropical biome to build a fort in, I just noticed that there seem to be less than there used to be, after looking at 15+ worlds. And the fact that I haven't seen a single tropical area seems pretty odd.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2008, 02:51:00 pm »

It's the way the worldgen defaults are set up right now.

BahamutZERO

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2008, 03:02:03 pm »

So the defaults have changed recently? That would explain it. I'd still call it a bug since I would expect the default generation parameters to be able to make worlds with the full spectrum of biomes.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2008, 03:09:43 pm »

It's not the defaults that changed. It's just because the game now generates a Medium world by default, and those less than Standard (now Large) never properly respected tropical and glacial biomes.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2008, 03:17:55 pm »

It's not the defaults that changed. It's just because the game now generates a Medium world by default, and those less than Standard (now Large) never properly respected tropical and glacial biomes.

This sounds right.  The defaults for medium (and smaller) worlds is that they have no glacier and tundra biomes.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2008, 08:13:52 pm »

Yeah, I need to get the pole information and latitude temperature gradient thingy into the params, so that people can set that up how they want (including optionally turning it off entirely for some maps, especially preset ones).
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2008, 11:31:44 pm »

This sounds right.  The defaults for medium (and smaller) worlds is that they have no glacier and tundra biomes.

What I do if I want a smaller world that still has tropical and tundra biomes is to take say a small world and then increase the height to the large size, it will generate almost as fast, and then have all of the biomes.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.