Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Core Components  (Read 4189 times)

Skyrage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Core Components
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2008, 01:18:32 pm »

Muuuuuuuusiiiiic!

More guitar tunes please :D

I'd also love to hear Cello tunes if possible. Actually, as many single-instrument tunes as possible. Piano, violin, flute etc...

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2008, 01:49:17 pm »

Personally I really dislike magic, it's so bland and unimaginative.

Toady will do something with magic that we'll like.  I'm certain of it.  There have been a number of threads by people making suggestions (of which I've read none of them, because I want to see it the way Toady does it).  Toady's made a few posts about it, I think, but he's been pretty vague.

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2008, 01:54:18 pm »

I'm willing to bet magic will eventually include the ability to change the temperature of a square. That's ALL it needs to be; wizards walking across a river by making an ice-bridge in front of them, a duel on a glacier with each fireball undermining the glacier's ability to hold you all up... that would be a lot of fun.

Also, making water-- boiling, steam clouds or freezing ice walls.

Anyway, back on topic. I'd love to hear more guitar in Dwarf Fortress. I love the game theme, and would like to hear more like it!

Naero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2008, 04:29:56 pm »

Personally I really dislike magic, it's so bland and unimaginative. Not that swords are the pinnacle of creativity

Surely you mean 'I really dislike magic, it's so bland and unimaginative in most fantasy settings'? There's nothing inherently bland about magic!

I hope to see Dwarf Fortress magic being something elemental and raw. Dwarves crowded around in a ritual circle chanting, releasing their fell energy upon the world in a sudden flash - immolating entire forests or flash-freezing an advancing army into goblin popsicles (of course, indescriminately hitting everything else that happens to be in the way, friendly Dwarves included!). Or maybe they make a mistake, mispronounce a single word and destroy the entire Dwarven coven in a fatal explosion! Such is the price of etherical power! (not to mention it'll stop you spamming to many legendary pyromancers)

At any rate, I doubt we'll see Dwarves casting magic missile in DF any time soon.
Quote from: Toady One
# 03/17/2009: The broken-armed dwarf understood that he needed to run off to the hospital zone properly, but care never came, because I'm still working on that. Poor little buddy.
#  03/18/2009: He's now surrounded by many skilled medical professionals. They still aren't all that useful, but just their presence must be encouraging for him. Well, I guess that's not true either.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2008, 04:39:03 pm »

Personally I really dislike magic, it's so bland and unimaginative. Not that swords are the pinnacle of creativity

Surely you mean 'I really dislike magic, it's so bland and unimaginative in most fantasy settings'? There's nothing inherently bland about magic!

I hope to see Dwarf Fortress magic being something elemental and raw. Dwarves crowded around in a ritual circle chanting, releasing their fell energy upon the world in a sudden flash - immolating entire forests or flash-freezing an advancing army into goblin popsicles (of course, indescriminately hitting everything else that happens to be in the way, friendly Dwarves included!). Or maybe they make a mistake, mispronounce a single word and destroy the entire Dwarven coven in a fatal explosion! Such is the price of etherical power! (not to mention it'll stop you spamming to many legendary pyromancers)

At any rate, I doubt we'll see Dwarves casting magic missile in DF any time soon.

Well well...even if dwarves wont have magicians/spellcasters we will still need to have a spell system. Other civilizations / specific monsters should use magic/spells. Yes fireballs/lightning bolts/whatever. That is magic. Its not necessary to have it in the vanilla game, but it must be possible for modders to create spellcasters / design spells. Take a look at dominions 3 and the magic system + modding abilities...now that is what we will need imo. [from a modding perspective at least.]

valcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Experience rivers.
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2008, 05:19:07 pm »

The adventurer stuff is what really gets me going.  Adventurer skills, survival skills, interaction with the environment and towns and buildings and oh god it just sounds incredible.  Adventure mode will rise from the ashes as a beautiful and fulfilling experience to be cherished.
Still doing Let's Plays, still got a gold toof. 

Adventure Mode:  The Movie!
Pages: 1 2 [3]