Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: No animals on serene freshwater marsh?  (Read 971 times)

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
No animals on serene freshwater marsh?
« on: August 12, 2008, 04:26:20 pm »

I've recently started a map on a serene-aligned freshwater marsh, and there's absolutely *no* wildlife on the map aside from vermin and some fire imps in the magma pipe.

I'm only into mid-spring of my first year, but this still seems incredibly odd.

I noticed that there are actually no creatures with the marsh biome token which aren't either evil or predatory, meaning those shouldn't appear in a serene area in the first place (assuming predators don't show up in benign areas).

There are some creatures with ANY_WETLAND (slugmen and snailmen), but those both also have SAVAGE as a token so they obviously shouldn't show up either.

I know this is kind of odd to report as a "bug", but it's close enough that I decided I should. I mean, you'd think any map should have at least some wildlife, but I'm pretty sure this is in fact the only combination of biome/surroundings which doesn't have any valid choices in the entire game... as far as I know.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: No animals on serene freshwater marsh?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2008, 05:44:27 pm »

Serene is on the other end from Savage, and savage areas have more wildlife, so a serene one will have very little (and it will be good aligned).  A neutral of the same savagery is called Calm.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2008, 06:51:53 pm »

Yeah, I know how that stuff works.

The thing is that just about every biome has wildlife in it, even when serene, except for marshes/swamps. Serene+wetlands is the only combination of biome and surroundings that I've seen which can produce absolutely no wildlife whatsoever.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.

The Dark Bunny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2008, 07:43:59 pm »

I have a calm freshwater swamp fortress that's home to a single Alligator.  I feel your pain.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2008, 09:17:28 pm »

Yeah, I just haven't added any.  I was going to do some of the large marsh birds, but didn't have eggs or feathers (now up on dev next), so I stayed away from it.  I suppose there are some other candidates that could be considered as well.  Gorillas and zillions of other things.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2008, 12:26:59 am »

Gorillas would probably need to be tropical-only, considering.

As far as extant creatures are concerned, deer and raccoons are plausible enough, maybe even black bears, and hell, I was considering modding satyrs to appear.

I guess one problem with wetlands is that a lot of the animals there are either avian or, well, tiny. Granted, this is Dwarf Fortress, so you can just go nuts and have giant otters and peat moss golems anyway.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2008, 06:57:20 am »

Manatees, anyone? Bull sharks make their way into marshes as well too. Lots and lots of frogs and various other tiny creatures, many of the monkeys and gibbons, as well as the occasional tourist.

Let's not forget alligators, caiman, and crocs.

Oooh, dolphins too. Freshwater dolphins.