Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A peaceful fortress - maybe a bit too peaceful  (Read 851 times)

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
A peaceful fortress - maybe a bit too peaceful
« on: August 12, 2008, 11:35:04 am »

Hi!

My current 39f fortress has provided me with quite a couple of surprises/misses.

First of all, I forgot to make sure I have sand. Sure, I have sandy loam, but no genuine sand (T_T).

Then, somehow I got immigration to be extremely low. Several 0 seasons. Now, in the summer of the third year, I am at 48 dwarves (thanks to the most recent immigrant wave which boosted me from 31).

No goblin ambushers/snatchers or whatever, but that is no surprise. There are no goblin civs on that world anymore.

And it seems that the kobolds also got extinct. No kobold civ listed in my civs and no kobold thieves yet. I didn't check for living kobolds, so I was a bit surprised.

However, there is one absentee that is kind of annoying me: No human diplomat. They didn't send one with their first caravan, and neither was there one with the second. It is quite annoying being unable to negotiate for desired products with them.

Anyhow, I am wondering, if I am correct about the missing kobolds (may just have been reluctant to visit since fortress wealth has been slow to grow), maybe this world would be a good training world for newbies - I mean, no goblins, no kobolds, so you can concentrate on figuring out the building and production chain development.

Deathworks

Jingles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A peaceful fortress - maybe a bit too peaceful
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2008, 12:05:52 pm »

If there are too many mountain caves kobolds die out right away.  By the way for an easy check on these things before you play there is an awsome utility here http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=20780.15
unfortunately it only seems to work for region 1 though so you have to use it right after you export the map info and before you accept the map.  Or erase the data all the time.

Brendan

• Bay Watcher
  • fa/tg/uy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2008, 12:34:03 pm »

Liaisons are historical figures; presumably your human diplomat got picked off in worldgen, and since you never get a replacement... :-\

Also, the fun in being a newbie is having to fend off goblin ambushers with an untrained army of civilian wrestlers ;D

Skyrage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2008, 04:54:08 pm »

Liaisons are historical figures; presumably your human diplomat got picked off in worldgen, and since you never get a replacement... :-\

Also, the fun in being a newbie is having to fend off goblin ambushers with an untrained army of civilian wrestlers ;D

Ah, that needs to be changed IMO. More diplomats, and respawning units etc in the world as the game progresses. Maybe have an "update" each season (4 a year that is) which quickly adds/kills off units and basically progress history as you play. But something tells me that this will be fixed in the future - when it comes to Toady there are no real surprises anymore :P