Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [39f] The Caravan of Oblivious Bliss and Lazy Liasons  (Read 1098 times)

Zombie

• Bay Watcher
  • Ǵ̨̕o͘d͝d̡͢e̡̕s̷͟s̵͢ ͝of̴ ͡G͘͠a̧mi̶n̛͝g̨
    • View Profile
[39f] The Caravan of Oblivious Bliss and Lazy Liasons
« on: August 15, 2008, 01:01:25 am »

So, I had the humans visit... Met with their liason, blah blah... I wanted to relocate my depot inside so my dwarves would stop vomiting and so my "Don't go the hell outdoors or I'll shoot you" orders wouldn't disturb trading too terribly much...

So I waited until the message said that they left. Then I used (k)(x) to remove the construction... Well, my dwarves evidently got there a tad too fast and the result was some merchant stuff on the ground and the wagon... just... kinda sitting there...

Fast forward about a year. Wagon's still there. Waiting. Nothing is around them now as, evidently, "on the ground" means "belongs to us" in Dwarven... Elven and Dwarven traders have come and gone...

Fast forward a season. Autumn now. Whoop-dee-doo, Dwarven caravan (with wagons this time, damnit) come to trade. I get excited because wagons hopefully mean a liason. Every fort I've played, the mountainhomes send a liason when I manage to attract a caravan instead of a few dolts with pack mules. No liason. I've had three dwarven caravans and no liason. I find that odd as, typically, my liason comes with the second caravan. Or after I actually trade with the merchants.

I find myself wondering if the liason is ever going to come as long as this wagon is here, yet I don't really want to kill the humans because they're kind of nice and bring lots of fun stuff to buy. Also, they're outside and I'm not entirely sure how I'd slaughter them if I wanted to. :P
« Last Edit: August 15, 2008, 01:35:20 am by Zombie »
If I had a dollar for every dwarf whose feelings I didn't care about, I'd have seven dollars, with more coming in the fall.

Urist McSharpblade, Axe Sheriff cancels Justice: Needs more than an axe for this.

MULTI-THREADING - I'm talking about it!

Another

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [39f] The Caravan of Oblivious Bliss and Lazy Liasons
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2008, 03:02:24 am »

Also, they're outside and I'm not entirely sure how I'd slaughter them if I wanted to. :P

1. Construct a wall around them and pump water inside. If not immediately drowned - hope you have at least 1 freezing day in winter.
2. Try to build a bridge under them (may not work) and make it rise with a lever.
3. Catch some goblins/whatever not so benign you have in cages and release them near the merchants.
4. Mine out a deep shaft under them and then - around them for a cave-in.
5. A catapult on the right distance (2 or 3 standard screens) will get them eventually. A ballista is a faster method.
6. Wall them up with a dwarf and make him VERY unhappy to tantrum (e.g. by killing his children).

Edit: thanks for grammar correction.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2008, 12:40:55 pm by Another »

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2008, 08:46:37 am »

Also, they're outside and I'm not entirely sure how I'd slaughter them if I wanted to. :P

1. Construct a wall around them and pump water inside. If not immediately drawn - hope you have at least 1 freezing day in winter.

I hope you mean "drowned" there.

Zombie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2008, 01:55:01 pm »

But killing them aside... This seems to be some form of bug, as the caravan should be long gone... Also, I still haven't gotten a liason from the mountainhomes. :( No flux for me...
If I had a dollar for every dwarf whose feelings I didn't care about, I'd have seven dollars, with more coming in the fall.

Urist McSharpblade, Axe Sheriff cancels Justice: Needs more than an axe for this.

Zombie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2008, 02:56:30 pm »

Building a bridge under them seemed to work as now they've left. Unfortunately, I still haven't seen hide nor hair of a liason yet.