Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I think I need help...  (Read 667 times)

socially_inept_butterfly

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes cows for their haunting moos
    • View Profile
I think I need help...
« on: September 19, 2008, 08:31:31 pm »

So I'm working on an entity, creature, and unique body parts. Each is in its own separate .txt file (so nothing is in entity_default.txt for example)
Every time I world gen, though, this race of creatures and this entity don't seem to exist.
What am I doing wrong?
Urist Axebeard, Mayor, has banned the export of brains.

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
Re: I think I need help...
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2008, 09:52:02 pm »

Do you have the file names at the top of each document?
*Digs tunnel under thread.*
I also answer to Gophers and DG.
Quote from: Shades of Gray
*Says something inspiring and quote worthy.*
Opinions are great, they're like onions with pi.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2008, 12:55:45 am »

Also, remember to delete everything in the data/objects file so you restore the game's cache. Without doing this, the game will function on the raws as they were before you edited them.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Mirefrost00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2008, 08:08:02 am »

I went through this for a while with the race I added in (which I now play as :D ).  It came down to counting tokens in the entity_new and entity_default files, to see what dwarves, humans, etc. had that my new guys were missing.  In other words, if you took the Modding Guide's word as The Way, it'll need more work.  A good way to make them prominent, set their starting biome in the entity file as ANY_DESERT, and their default site type to TOWN.  That way, if they're bigger than everyone else, you'll be able to find armor in their size.

For fun, start adding align spheres to all of your races to make them form odd alliances.  I aligned my mod Arachnids with the goblins and elves once, for instance.

socially_inept_butterfly

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes cows for their haunting moos
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2008, 10:55:59 am »

Alright, thanks for the advice. :)
Urist Axebeard, Mayor, has banned the export of brains.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2008, 11:06:49 am »

Also, remember to delete everything in the data/objects file so you restore the game's cache. Without doing this, the game will function on the raws as they were before you edited them.

Actually, you only have to do this if you remove or change the name of one the text files.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.