Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [39e] Some military equipment problems  (Read 1062 times)

WCG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • That's interesting...
[39e] Some military equipment problems
« on: August 09, 2008, 09:51:37 am »

I'm a newbie, so this probably isn't anything you don't know, but just in case...

1) I had a wrestler whom I switched to training with a crossbow, but he wouldn't pick up any bolts. He kept sparring in the barracks, bashing people with his crossbow, instead of shooting at a target. Yes, he had a quiver, but it stayed empty.

I tried a lot of different things before I noticed that he was wearing one waterskin and carrying another in his left hand. In his right hand, he was holding BOTH his crossbow and his shield. So I set the second waterskin to dump and (if I remember correctly) also told him to stop carrying water. That did the trick. Once he got rid of the second waterskin, he was able to pick up bolts and start shooting.

2) I switched another wrestler to hammerdwarf, but when he went to pick up his new equipment, he just stopped in the middle of the hallway and seemed to be stuck there. I had a silver hammer available in the next storeroom, too.

Again, I tried many things before noticing that he was wearing leather, when I'd (long before this) set him to wear chainmail. I checked the Stocks screen, and I seemed to have enough chainmail. But when I zoomed to them, I discovered one dwarf wearing plate mail (as instructed) AND the extra chainmail.

Apparently, the fact that his chainmail was already in use was enough to lock up my prospective hammerdwarf. For some reason, this hadn't been a problem until I'd switched his weapon. I don't know why. But when I switched him back to leather, that did the trick. He instantly went to the storeroom to pick up his hammer. No more problems.

Note that it's kind of weird that dwarves can wear multiple suits of armor. And it makes it VERY difficult to tell how many you've got available for other soldiers.

But I was happy enough to figure out these two problems (eventually!), without needing to make a fool of my self here.

:)

Bill

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [39e] Some military equipment problems
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2008, 08:57:20 pm »

I've encountered the sparring with crossbow bug before, but I haven't been able to reproduce it.

Also, I've seen soldiers get "stuck" when attempting to pick up gear. It'll fix itself in time however. Once the pickup equipment job is interrupted, such as having to eat/drink/sleep, the soldier will go back and do the job again, and it almost always works.

Kishmond

• Bay Watcher
  • What the pfargtl?
    • View Profile
    • My DF Stories blog.
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2008, 11:19:21 pm »

This has happened to me as well, in both 39e and f. Seems to occur more often with axedwarves and miners though. They would go to the pile, pickup the equipment, drop it, walk away 10 or so tiles, then repeat.

However, if given a job to actually use the axe or pick they pick it up just fine.

Ltheb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2008, 12:24:01 am »

I too have just experienced this bug: In my current fort, I produced a Masterwork Steel Sword. I wanted a Hunter to use it. All other swords are marked Forbidden. He runs in, grabs the sword, leaves, and repeats. Even making him a soldier he still won't do it. He is more than willing to wield weapons not produced in the fortress (such as weapons brought from the caravan) but will not equip that one particular sword.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2008, 04:47:05 am »

he might be wielding an artifact and dwarves never put down artifact weapons/shields/armour that they wear

WCG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • That's interesting...
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2008, 09:32:12 am »

What's the deal with dwarves wearing two sets of armor, anyway? Plate mail AND chain mail at the same time? As I noted, that makes it very hard to tell what equipment is still available for use (and assigning armor that isn't available seems to be a good way to screw up my dwarves).

Bill

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2008, 12:27:55 pm »

Also note that you need a champ to wield artifact weapons/armors.
That's why your hunter dropped it I guess.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2008, 01:12:12 pm »

I could be wrong, but I seem to remember it being historically accurate to wear chain with plate coverings... 

Ltheb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2008, 04:01:51 pm »

It was not an artifact; merely a ☼Masterful☼-level item. Note that my hunter eventually gave up and went hunting bare-handed (was wearing plate though) and decided wrestling a pack of Unicorns was a good idea.

7 Mangled body parts later, he changed his mind.

If it matters in debugging the problem, I did have the ☼Item☼ Decorated. (Studded with Hanging Rings and an image)

Fleeb

• Bay Watcher
  • The Fleebiest
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2008, 01:22:13 pm »

I'm having a similar problem in 39f. I chose a peasant as my captain of the guard or whatever and set him to wear plate and carry a hammer. He puts on the armor just fine, but when picking up the hammer he tries, then walks a few steps away, tries again, repeat to infinity. This is a + quality hammer, no decorations.
"If you push something hard enough, it will fall over" -Fudds First Law of Opposition
"If it goes in, it must come out" -Teslicles Deviant to Fudds Law