Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Is There a Way To See The Source Code?  (Read 2655 times)

dfshortbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Is There a Way To See The Source Code?
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2008, 03:28:18 am »

Decompilers exist. I even remember seeing a few in my day. But they don't maintain variable names (or class names, or etc...) so for larger programs they are pretty useless.

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2008, 03:31:18 am »

Decompilers exist. I even remember seeing a few in my day. But they don't maintain variable names (or class names, or etc...) so for larger programs they are pretty useless.
normal, programs dont keep variable names if compiled ...
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

dfshortbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2008, 03:50:38 am »

Quote from: dfshortbus on Today at 04:28:18 am

normal, programs dont keep variable names if compiled ...
You are correct. That is what I was saying before. But I guess if he really wanted to he could decompile it and step thru the code. But personally I think that would be pretty useless unless he was trying to make a small change.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2008, 04:30:47 am »

Some decompilers can make guesses on names of variables and other stuff, if the environment used to create the program is known, and has specific "standards" in that regard. Otherwise yeah, you get a heap of generic variable names.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

TheSpaceMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.digital-lifeform.com
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2008, 04:41:26 am »

But the generic names still all would have simular names. That is, a find replace all should allow you to in a quicker way with time atleast rename stuff after haveing an educated guess what they do. That is, if you could decompile it, get the source and compile it, adding breakpoints at certain areas could make it possible to figure out a function and thus start the rename process. Still would it be worth the work? probably not.
Poking around with a DFParser.
Bodypart names, creatures names in one easily overviewable place.

Oh my new (old) picture?

magikarcher

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2008, 09:49:55 pm »

I wasn't really planning on decompiling or hacking it... I just was curious. Besides I am just learning C++, I have some efficiency in Lua as well.
Pages: 1 [2]