Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Would it be possible to get DF to run on a DS/PSP?  (Read 2943 times)

MuonDecay

• Bay Watcher
  • Say hello to my little μ
    • View Profile
Re: Would it be possible to get DF to run on a DS/PSP?
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2008, 09:22:34 pm »

DF uses enough ram to bring even the fasest computers to its knees, now if it was something like and Xbox 360 which has not 1, not 2, but 4 CPUs then it would work.

.. The number of CPUs is completely irrelevant since DF only uses one of them, besides that having nothing to do with RAM.

It's not -entirely- irrelevant.

As the number of cores increases, the individual speed of each component core does tend to decrease as well. My old Pentium 4 would have ran DF faster than my Core 2 Duo.

In essence, from a DF perspective, adding more cores is paying good money to decrease performance.

nicholasneko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2008, 09:52:18 pm »

It's not -entirely- irrelevant.

As the number of cores increases, the individual speed of each component core does tend to decrease as well. My old Pentium 4 would have ran DF faster than my Core 2 Duo.

In essence, from a DF perspective, adding more cores is paying good money to decrease performance.

And that was only relevant as of the first generation of chips, as of now most your duals and quads are well past any single core the average person can buy and most the quad cores are at par if not faster then the first gen dual cores on a core to core comparison.

Lowend last generation intel quad core, Q6600, runs at 2.6 per core. New generation and currently same priced dual core E8500 runs at 3.16 per core.

And that quad core is as fast as most the dualcores of the same generation, only just recently falling into the low price bracket.

But this is neither here nor there. yes DF would run like crap on really most portable devices that aren't a full fledged laptop or have something equilvent to a @ghz or higher per core speed.

EDIT: though to your main point actually, even with a slower clock speed per core, the first gen core 2 duos could out process, per core, the P4 dualcores or even the single cores, unless you were compairing some high end single chip vs a low end core 2.

clock for clock core 2s are much better.. usually about a 1.5 or 2 to 1 ratio in work that could be done per Mhz compaired with the old stuff. and that trend continues as bus speeds continue to pick up with each new generation.

assuming toady will keep working on the game for years to come.. and with what he wants in it i'm sure he will.. then it won't be long till we have hand held machines which equal the processing power of todays PCs. the atom and other micro cpus that just came out show this well.

EDIT2: sorry if that turned into a rant O.o; please by all means continue the topic around the hole i dug for myself.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2008, 09:57:54 pm by nicholasneko »

Angellus

« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2008, 12:33:30 pm »

an experiment of the government to try and put Dwarf Fortress on a Nintendo DS...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Yngar the Wise

• Bay Watcher
  • @
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2008, 02:00:26 am »

A psp processor runs at 333mhz if you overclock it. Im pretty sure that wouldnt be enough, but it would be pretty damn awesome.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2008, 02:24:38 am »

Errh, my 800mhz laptop runs df VERY slow, down to 5 fps if some features are present. And you can't enjoy adv. mode because of looong waiting times.
So, I think, 333Mhz is a total "fail".

P.S. Why is it in "modding" section?! o_O
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

nicholasneko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2008, 06:25:07 am »

guess he wondered if you could mod the game to run on them O.o; no idea really.

GoreTaco

• Bay Watcher
  • Actually a brain in a jar
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2008, 07:40:28 am »

Well not only would you have problems with RAM, you'd also have a big cluster-fuck with the controls! It would be nice to play DF on the go, though.
"Who's John Galt?"

Heron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2008, 10:12:54 pm »

This is weird - is it some sort of memory bandwidth saturation problem? If it's purely CPU limited, adding a couple of lines of OpenMP might get some quick and dirty multicore action with minimal effort on anyone's part...

That is, assuming there are some giant for loops that govern temperature and weather and such.
Pages: 1 [2]