Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Age Names  (Read 6391 times)

avari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Age Names
« Reply #45 on: August 03, 2008, 02:29:53 pm »

I genned a 'smaller' world set to run until the year 500, no matter what. It ended up in the bleak-sounding Age of Bonesweltered, referring to the demon Os Mudosulo Ûstruslakga (“Os Bonesweltered the Dead Flames”). The only civilizations with any settlements were the evil ones (i.e., goblins and elves).

The demon had actually destroyed the single dwarven fortress already in the year 66. The remaining dwarves had fled into the mountains, and apparently they were still out there, as I could start a fortress with them. The dwarven civilization-in-hiding was aptly named The Secretive Letter. I could only start an elf adventurer, however, so it seems that you need a settlement to generate an adventurer. The dwarf fortress that I started is still at war with both the goblins and the elves, so I guess I will be busy in that regard.

I like to think that the reason that the goblins managed to destroy the dwarves in one battle was that the dwarves had fought bloody wars with the elves from day one. The goblins actually only attacked the elves once (year 1) and the dwarves in 66; other than that, they only sent ambushers around. The elves were the real warmongering bastards of this world.

The humans were naturally also in a constant life-or-death struggle with the elves. The last human settlement was wiped out in 465. Luckily (or not) for humans, the goblins with their kidnapping capers ensured that the human race didn't die out; in the year 500, there were 17 uber-goblins and 200 (!) humans living in dark fortresses. The elf head count was 413; I don't know if I can see the number of dwarves living in the wilderness somewhere. The map was dotted with ruins and large parts had been turned evil by the corruption spreading from the goblin-infested mountains.

One other cool thing about this little world was that there was a dragon that actually didn't die in the first few years. The Age of Dragon and Demon lasted until 295, when the aptly-named dragon Accok Sparkheat the Fiery Flare of Taxes was killed by a human shopkeeper. The dragon had liberally raided all civilizations countless of times and had 22 kills by then. The shopkeeper actually casually worshipped the dragon. After his heroics, he became a priest and lived to the ripe age of 117 years.

Jualin

• Bay Watcher
  • What's that sound?
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 03, 2008, 05:00:03 pm »

If you really want those megabeasts and semimegabeasts, double or triple the size of the things. I added a zero to each creature's size. Haven't actually faced one of the things to date, though. Kind of hope that I won't have to.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 03, 2008, 09:07:51 pm »

If you really want those megabeasts and semimegabeasts, double or triple the size of the things. I added a zero to each creature's size. Haven't actually faced one of the things to date, though. Kind of hope that I won't have to.

You can change it back after world gen.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]