Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Jobs get suspended instead of cancelled when resources unavailable.  (Read 1536 times)

Moron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm sure this must have been suggested before, but searching has not found any obvious threads.

The suggestion is that when a job cannot be completed because of a lack of the necessary resource, it gets suspended instead of cancelled, and is then automatically re-started when the resource becomes available.

For example, instead of 'Urist McBrewer cancels brew drink: no empty barrels', which means you have to remember to manually restart brewing once more barrels are made, the brewing would just be suspended and would automatically be put back in the still job queue when empty barrels became available.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Jobs get suspended instead of cancelled when resources unavailable.
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2008, 12:27:12 pm »

I second this.

An alternative solution would be to add more automatic workshop tasks, such as collecting webs, weaving cloth, and tanning hides.

However, I like the idea of tasks just being suspended instead of canceled, it would give a ton of flexibility for setting up repeating tasks where the flow of resources isn't constant. A current workaround is to use the manager to assign tasks, by the way. Its not perfect, but if you queue up a few hundred brew tasks, it'll keep refilling the queue if you temporarily run out of barrels or pig tails.

sweitx

• Bay Watcher
  • Sun Berry McSunshine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2008, 03:27:00 pm »

Another solution is to have different "Repeat" types.  One type of repeat is to cancel on completion (the current system).  And another is to skip a task if there's no resource (as if the task was completed).  Or a job manager repeat.

Even better, an ability to stop a task from constantly asking that it has been canceled.  And will only announce it once for when it got canceled and a second time when it resumes.
One of the toads decided to go for a swim in the moat - presumably because he could path through the moat to my dwarves. He is not charging in, just loitering in the moat.

The toad is having a nice relaxing swim.
The goblin mounted on his back, however, is drowning.

jellyman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2008, 04:36:16 pm »

I was going to make this suggestion as well, but found this.

Also nice would be an option to link a workshop to a stockpile, and have production suspended if the stockpile is full.  Or perhaps if the total number of item X in the fortress is above a certain number.  I'm thinking mostly of the food chain for this idea, it could also apply to wood chopping and fishing which is not done at a workshop.