Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Safely lowering cages into an arena  (Read 728 times)

ILikePie

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Ron
    • View Profile
Safely lowering cages into an arena
« on: July 28, 2008, 02:10:42 pm »

I was thinking of making a gladiator like arena where PoWs and criminals gain pride as win matches but I don't have a way of lowering cages down into there without the cage breaking and the creature being trapped in the alternate dimension (dwarfs can't go down there, not when there is an enraged goblin on the loose).

Has any got a solution to my problem? Maby some kind of cushion to break there fall? Or a chain? How can this be done? ???

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
Re: Safely lowering cages into an arena
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 02:38:31 pm »

You could {b}uild the cage, attach it to a lever, and then pull the lever.  Afaik there is no safe way of lowering a cage.
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

sphr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 02:56:54 pm »

try this, build a cage building containing the imprisoned creature beside a pit.  then transfer the prisoner to the pit (press Q over pit, then assign the creature in the cage to the pit).  iirc, transfer between adjacent lockups should be safe. don't know if this works in latest version though.

Jetman123

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Bauxite Turbojet!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 03:12:45 pm »

Transfer seems to be safe - I threw a goblin master thief in a pit after a trip of about five tiles and the prisoner didn't do anything.

My crossbowdwarf shot him dead before I could bring in the competitor, though. :P
When dwarves want to commit suicide, then by Armok, they _will_ commit suicide, even if they have to spend the rest of their lives working at it!

Mirtae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2008, 04:27:08 pm »

Code: [Select]
|_C_|
|_x_|
|_x_|
|_x_|
|_________Arena_________Same on otherside

| wall, _ floor, x floor grate, C is the cage containing your gobbo or just the gobbo itself locked into a 1*1 room.

I think this might work. Attach each floor grate to a seperate lever. Drop the cage into the first compartment, lock the grate above. Do the same and keep going down until the gobbo is in the Arena proper. Not sure how you would get them back. Have the entire floor of the Arena as grates, and make them drop onto Cage Traps?

Not sure about this, havent tried it myself.

WCG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • That's interesting...
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2008, 07:36:12 am »

Attach each floor grate to a separate lever. Drop the cage into the first compartment, lock the grate above. Do the same and keep going down until the gobbo is in the Arena proper.

How would you open the cage then? Can you attach a lever to a cage and then move the cage? That wouldn't make much sense, would it?

But you could release the prisoner into the room above the arena and use a pressure plate/grate trap to drop him down, I suppose. You'd need that room to be secure (i.e. separated from everything else by a retractable bridge, not just a door).

Think that would work?

Bill

vagel7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2008, 02:15:20 pm »

or make a little gina of a room in the arena so youl but the cage behind the door then open the cage and get youre dwarf out of there and locking the door and there would be a flood gate infront of the cage wich is open so the animal will go out,you lock the floodgate and retrive the cage.here the code

---*F*---
---*C*---
---*D*---
***D****

- arena floor
*wall
F flood gate
C cage
D door

tho you can make it longer so the dwarf has time to get out and if you cant lock door number 1 in time you should be abel to lock door number 2 in time.
That last gobbo would stand there, missing an arm, punctured in a kidney, liver, and spleen, fading in and out of consciousness at the far end of where the drawbridge would go, and his last sight would be the drawbridge dropping down and smashing him like a bug.

God DAMN I love this game!

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2008, 02:46:23 pm »

Actually, a pulley system sounds like a neat building. You build it over an empty space, with one tile connected to solid ground, the open space tile could be hooked up to a cage/whatever could be put on, and triggered to lower X* Z levels. And another trigger for letting go/opening the cage.

* X being till it hits ground, or whatever you set it as.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

vagel7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2008, 04:13:43 pm »

you do know if the cage breaks the creature inside it will be transported to another dimension,never again returning.
That last gobbo would stand there, missing an arm, punctured in a kidney, liver, and spleen, fading in and out of consciousness at the far end of where the drawbridge would go, and his last sight would be the drawbridge dropping down and smashing him like a bug.

God DAMN I love this game!