Advanced search  

Author Topic: I-Pods  (Read 3766 times)

Shikogan

• Bay Watcher
  • Comically insane
    • View Profile
I-Pods
« on: August 30, 2008, 05:49:56 pm »

yeah pretty much what the topic suggests. I am about to embark upon a 10 day ski trip but i need a new mp3/4 player that has 30gb+ for my music and movies. the battery life should also be about 5 hours for movies and music playback. So what one would you suggest it doesn't necassarily have to be an i-pod just be able to play movies and music.
Arguing on the internet is like running in the special Olympics; even if you win you're still retarded.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
Re: I-Pods
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2008, 05:53:57 pm »

$30

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3402958&SRCCODE=SHOPBOT&CMP=OTC-SHOPBOT

Doesn't get cheaper than that. Customer reviews are all above 4/5.

Only problem is the memory but with some organization, 2GB gets you a LOT of songs and videos (fit to the resolution of the thing). But still. $30. That's what I'd go for.

Shikogan

• Bay Watcher
  • Comically insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2008, 06:22:15 pm »

...2GB gets you a LOT of songs and videos...

Yeah i have a 5gb one at the moment and i still don't have enough songs for my taste. I was kinda hoping for 30gb maybe more. Yes I do have that much music.
Arguing on the internet is like running in the special Olympics; even if you win you're still retarded.

Immortal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2008, 06:33:47 pm »

Wow. I would suggest you get a mp3 with memory cards.. I can believe you have that much music, my library eqauls 4.92 GB

Edit : I know sony makes some mp3 like that. All those memory cards wont be cheap though..

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2008, 06:34:07 pm »

It's not about how much music you have, it's how much you really listen to. Because if we're having a pissing contest, I have over 200gb of music. But I know what I want to listen to beforehand so I can store what I need in my cards and devices. What about you? ;)

Let's see, 10 days. Each song is say... 4mb. Let's estimate 5 hours of listening per day. One song is 4 minutes. We'd be at 3gb if you listened to a completely new track every single time for 10 days. That's 750 songs. If you did any more than that, I'd be more worried about your holiday than your music preferences. 30gb can store 10 times that number. Are you seriously going to be listening to that many songs instead of say, having a holiday?

But, it's up to you. The reason people choose high capacity music players is that they're either willing to pay extra for the convenience of never having to put in new songs (even though they eventually do) or that they overestimate their listening capacity.

Wait, why am I lecturing? Sorry sorry.

Immortal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2008, 06:40:05 pm »

Agreed I only listen to maybe 2GBs of my library which is conviently the amount of my mp3.

Seriously though Shikogan just resize the resolution of your movies you shouldnt need more then 5gb for that.. plus music(if you organize it a bit, cut out what you dont really listen to) thats 10. I know a 8G memory card isnt much anymore, a few of those should cover you.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2008, 06:42:54 pm by Immortal »

Shikogan

• Bay Watcher
  • Comically insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2008, 07:36:20 pm »

It's not about how much music you have, it's how much you really listen to. Because if we're having a pissing contest, I have over 200gb of music. But I know what I want to listen to beforehand so I can store what I need in my cards and devices. What about you? ;)

Let's see, 10 days. Each song is say... 4mb. Let's estimate 5 hours of listening per day. One song is 4 minutes. We'd be at 3gb if you listened to a completely new track every single time for 10 days. That's 750 songs. If you did any more than that, I'd be more worried about your holiday than your music preferences. 30gb can store 10 times that number. Are you seriously going to be listening to that many songs instead of say, having a holiday?

But, it's up to you. The reason people choose high capacity music players is that they're either willing to pay extra for the convenience of never having to put in new songs (even though they eventually do) or that they overestimate their listening capacity.

Wait, why am I lecturing? Sorry sorry.

It's not really that I listen to that much music it's just i like having a LOT of choices when it comes to my listening time. It all really depends on my mood. I was just wanting peoples opinions of high capacity models, not really lectures on that 8gb is enough for any sane person and so on and so forth. But whatever, it's all good.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2008, 09:35:32 pm »

I got one of these about two years ago, and I still love the thing.  It does everything I need it to (i.e. plays music, plays videos, has about 4-5 hours of battery life when playing music, and even has a radio, which iPods don't).  I've never used the video aspect much, but I imagine the 2Gb memory would be a problem for that.  I really don't understand why anyone would need more memory for just a music player though.  2Gb gives you many hours of music - I just throw every song I like into the thing, set it to random shuffle, and skip anything I want to hear when it comes up.

Due to vagaries of music player technology, it's already a discontinued model, but that just means it's cheaper if you can find one.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2008, 10:09:39 pm »

Don't get an iPod, they suck and cost way too much.

You could try a Zune or look around a bit.
(I hear Zune's are better, personally I have no idea.)

Omath Erius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2008, 11:00:56 pm »

Don't get an iPod, they suck and cost way too much.

Listen to this man.

Personally, I use a slicK.

Plays .wav and .mp3 and possibly more that I haven't bothere to check.
Records voice
Has Playthrough, Loop, and Shuffle options.
Acts as a flash drive (Insert official stamp of approval here)

Granted, it doesn't play movies, and it only holds approximatly 100 songs, which by todays standards doesn't seem like many.

But then I look back and say "Do I really need 101 songs?" and go back to smiling again.

Edit: It doesn't really fit your requirements looking back, but I'm confused as to how far off-topic we've gotten so far.
fhalkgsuehgvnl gherghlirhb

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2008, 04:36:08 am »

What is this? My penis has more GB than yours contest?

Then I'll somewhat proudly say that I never had more than 100MB of songs at a time.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Makrond

• Bay Watcher
  • Like fuzzy dice, only more slicey
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2008, 07:22:34 am »

Pfft... silly noobs. I carry my 1TB hard drive around in a caddy that can play songs anywhere there's a power outlet.

"A stupid idea," I hear you say. Well, I've only been to a few places where I can't find any powerpoints at all, and they're growing smaller in number every day. Seriously, unless you're giong to be stuck in the middle of an Amish village for a while, it's quite useful. Plus, I have wireless headphones, so I can go anywhere up to ~10 meters away.
Quote from: Jusal
Darwinism? Bah! This is Dwarvinism!

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2008, 12:05:34 pm »

Pfft... silly noobs. I carry my 1TB hard drive around in a caddy that can play songs anywhere there's a power outlet.

"A stupid idea," I hear you say. Well, I've only been to a few places where I can't find any powerpoints at all, and they're growing smaller in number every day. Seriously, unless you're giong to be stuck in the middle of an Amish village for a while, it's quite useful. Plus, I have wireless headphones, so I can go anywhere up to ~10 meters away.

I just use a 160 gig drive and my laptop. Until someone can show me an MP3 player than can hold my entire 135 gigabyte collection, this is the best way.