Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Food trade  (Read 915 times)

Lidhuin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Food trade
« on: July 28, 2008, 11:19:42 pm »

I tried searching, couldn't find it having been brought up, but...

Currently, a novice cook can create a simple meal from ingredients worth maybe 100-200 and end up with a final product worth 1000-2000.

A better cook consistently creates meals of such value. Add to it that they are extremely light weight and food is (generally) an easy resource to acquire (barring personally making it difficult), I think the value of cooked food products need to be reduced. A lot. Especially considering that I find it hard to believe that merchants would agree to sell their valuable +steel plate mail+ for a bunch of stew.

Now, I'm not 100% certain on the mechanics, but I believe that currently food value is multiplied when added together and I think that's where the problem is. Is there a way to change the mechanics of food value so that they do not multiply themselves to enormous values but perhaps instead just add up and then multiply quality? Or how does food value currently work?

Impaler[WrG]

• Bay Watcher
  • Khazad Project Leader
    • View Profile
Re: Food trade
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 03:37:28 am »

Personally I think the entire Item valuation system needs a major overhaul, quality is over-emphasized and material is under-emphasized which leads to things like bars of precious metal being worth as much as low quality cloth or turtle shell earrings.

For starters I'd multiply the raw material values by 10 and make the quality modifiers range from 1.0 to 3.0, Item value range also needs to be drastically narrowed.
Khazad the Isometric Fortress Engine
Extract forts from DF, load and save them to file and view them in full 3D

Khazad Home Thread
Khazad v0.0.5 Download

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008, 05:57:42 am »

I'm fine with meals being worth more than the sum of their parts, but I do think that adding the amount of ingredients together to determine the number of meals the produced stack contains leads to meals not only being happiness-inducing, but also extremely convenient for storage, which makes no sense.
Should probably be the average of the ingredient amounts. Possibly even the minimum of them.
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.

Theoclymenus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 08:21:34 am »

I'm fine with meals being worth more than the sum of their parts, but I do think that adding the amount of ingredients together to determine the number of meals the produced stack contains leads to meals not only being happiness-inducing, but also extremely convenient for storage, which makes no sense.
Should probably be the average of the ingredient amounts. Possibly even the minimum of them.
But that doesn't make sense: If I cook a stew out of 3 portions of fish, a tomato and a large wedge of cheese my stew doesn't end up the size of a tomato, it's the size of everything added together (boiling and other slight reductions in size notwithstanding). Now I am fairly sure that it also wouldn't make sense to say okay... the dwarves eat an eighth of the meal regardless of what's in it. If you had huge quantities of ingredients you should end up with obese dwarves. If the meal was just made of a portion of berries soaked in wine your dwarves would probably wither away.
Currently the situation is 2 stacks for biscuits, 3 for a stew and 4 for a roast. I think a better solution would be something like 5 individual items for biscuits, 10 for a stew and 20 for a roast. That would stop your '140 syrup roasts' being an issue (and so ridiculously valuable). To make up the happiness you could say that the final stack sizes are 4, 8 and 12 respectively but keep all the value of everything added into the meal. Then you get happy dwarves from eating cooked food, even happier if their meals were roasts. However, cooking roasts burns through your food reserves faster.

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 02:48:10 pm »

Yeah, the average was just a stopgap measure kind of thing until a proper cooking system can be implemented (not everything is a roast made of finely minced ingredients).
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.

Jing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2008, 04:02:41 pm »

Well, A soda and a plate of pasta from Cheesecake factory (not exactly masterwork meal, though tasty) approx $20.

A dvd, approximately $20.

4 gallons of gasoline, approx. $20.

2400 feet of Aluminum foil, Approximately $20.

Two rib eye steaks from the market, $20.

Video game Approximately $50

Sawdust table from IKEA $15

Things don't always cost what you think they might

Idiom

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_THOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2008, 04:33:28 pm »

When you live in what is essentially a glorified hole eating mainly raw mushrooms and drinking rotten shroom juice, a decent meal is a godsend.

But yes it should be reduced at least 50%.

Theoclymenus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2008, 07:54:17 pm »

Well, A soda and a plate of pasta from Cheesecake factory (not exactly masterwork meal, though tasty) approx $20.

A dvd, approximately $20.

4 gallons of gasoline, approx. $20.

2400 feet of Aluminum foil, Approximately $20.

Two rib eye steaks from the market, $20.

Video game Approximately $50

Sawdust table from IKEA $15

Things don't always cost what you think they might

Trading one stack of *Dwarven Syrup Roast* to the elves to purchase nearly their entire caravan: Priceless.