Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fortifications and ambush discovery  (Read 473 times)

FlyingScissorKick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Fortifications and ambush discovery
« on: July 28, 2008, 07:06:51 pm »

If I had a cat tied to a rope on one side of a fortification, would it discover ambushes on the other side? or does it have to be on the same side of the ambush?

If it has to be on the same side, would kittens do the trick? I would then have a use for catsplosions
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 07:18:24 pm by FlyingScissorKick »

grelphy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fortifications and ambush discovery
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 07:43:33 pm »

I believe the detecting creature must be adjacent to the detectee, thus, no detections through fortifications. Sorry. The good news is... I just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance by *mmmph*...

Er, sorry about that. The good news is that yes, you can use kittens to detect ambushes. In fact, local wildlife can detect ambushes, though that method is somewhat hit-or-miss.
Given the general shape of coins and what most people seem to find the minted variety useful for: "Rounds".

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 08:41:50 pm »

What I did in a previous fort was lay out random cages in groups of 2-4 around the map, an ambush stumbles into one the whole group is revealed and now you have a prisoner to toy with. As to being by the fortifications I guess you can just put a dwarf near it and hope the gobs try to shoot thru it.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 08:55:36 pm »

Regular traps can also deal with ambushes. Have a single line of weapon traps at the outer perimeter of your fort on the surface. If something trips the weapon trap you'll know there's something there. If you're ultra paranoid and don't want to be bothered by ambushes, simply build enough traps to kill all ambushers without you even having to notice them.

Goblin ambushes may be stealthy, but they're not immune to traps. Kobold ambushers, on the other hand, are trap immune.