Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Engraved image details  (Read 736 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Engraved image details
« on: July 26, 2008, 03:13:49 pm »

I've been thinking of how to make more "picturesque" images of events. And figured out a rather simple, in my opinion, way of doing it.

Right now, the game does not track the equipment of people during worldgen, it only arms them after they've gone through the history (which is in itself bad and causes funny things). But even then, it could allow a little better detail describing the manner in which something happened. Specifically, woundings and killings.

When doing the rolls for worldgen battles, the game already properly uses natural attacks. What if the legends could relay the actual attack that resulted in the wound/death? So instead of seeing "The human strikes down the human.", you could see, for example, "The human roundhouse kicks the human in the head. The human's head is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mess.", with the describing text unchanged, and names substituted if viewing from adventurer mode. I don't know how much information can be realistically gotten out of the current worldgen without altering it too much, but the idea seems plausibly simple.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Engraved image details
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 03:50:55 pm »

Hm. Silence can mean that either the idea is so sound there's nothing to add to it or talk about, or it could mean it's so bad it's not worth discussing.

So...  which one is it?
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Fishersalwaysdie

• Bay Watcher
  • Slayer of Threads
    • View Profile
    • http://chupacabra
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 05:58:17 pm »

I think it would be too much to track, and there's no need to make the text unchanged "The human roundhouse kicks the human in the head. The human is stricken down." would feel better.
But all in all, it's a good idea.
Cannot find self-destruction button, could have sworn it's somewhere here...

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 06:43:46 pm »

I like it!

No, seriously, I like it!!!

Really, it's a good idea!!!!!!!!!
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

JoRo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2008, 07:36:27 pm »

I actually have an image of a human commemorating him getting his head ripped (or maybe he was ripping someone's head) in my fort, so some of this would appear to already be already exist.
You have been struck down.
The giant cave spider spits out your head.