Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarves look at [ARMORLEVEL] when deciding what to wear  (Read 873 times)

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Dwarves look at [ARMORLEVEL] when deciding what to wear
« on: October 05, 2012, 03:06:07 pm »

If a dwarf is looking for something to wear, whether because of wear to their clothing or because of a player-enforced uniform, they should assign themselves items with a higher armour level first, replacing items of a lower armour level. For instance, a dwarf has just been drafted into the military and been assigned the metal uniform. She is currently wearing a full set of ordinary clothing (level 0), because civilians will only wear items of armour level 0. Upon assigning herself the helm (level 2, for metal) and boots (level 2, for metal), she notes that they are of a higher armour level than the headgear and footwear she is currently wearing. So she takes them off to make room for the helm and boots.

With the current armour levels, this would make dwarves always go for a breastplate over a mail shirt, since it's higher level than a mail shirt and the metal uniform only calls for one item of upper body armour. In that case, the armour levels for those two items could be swapped, or made the same to replicate the current behaviour. The metal uniform could call for two upper body items, but that would make the uniform even heavier and result in two mail shirts being worn if there were no breastplate available to fill the first slot.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

kontako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves look at [ARMORLEVEL] when deciding what to wear
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2012, 08:38:18 pm »

Agreed. Although the option to toggle this option on and off would be helpful, just because you don't want your dwarf's sparing with the best weapons, while your ready military is attempting to beat the crap out of gobbos with a wooden training axe.
Also the option to prioritize which dwarfs get the first pick would be great. So the master axedwarfs get the steel axes and the dabbling axedwarf gets the bronze ones!  ;D

"Confederacy of Businesses"?! By Armok's Blood! These Communist animals are CAPITALISTS!
"This town ain't big enough for the two of us, turkey"
*gobbles menacingly*

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2012, 12:16:15 am »

Weaponry could be handled separately, though the only real problem I have with the current behaviour is that it's based solely on value. In the same way that dwarves could look for the highest armour level possible before deciding what to wear in that category, they could look for the highest value material before deciding which weapon of that material they'd like to use.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2012, 10:11:22 am »

I really like this idea. Especially since I have problems with my military not equipping what I want them to equip.